Orangutan under threat of extinction in IndonesiaSeptember 6th, 2008 - 1:58 pm ICT by ANI
Jakarta, September 6 (ANI): A news report by Jakarta Post has suggested that the population of Orangutans in Kalimantan or Borneo Island of Indonesia remained under threat of extinction, despite claims by palm oil firms of applying eco-friendly work practices.
Deforestation for palm oil plantation was blamed for the killing the protected apes, particularly those living outside conservation areas, according to Novi Hardianto, the habitat program manager of the Center for Orangutan Protection (COP).
The forest is continuously being cleared and orangutans are killed every year. Its ironic, he was quoted by the Jakarta Post as saying.
The manager said that a recent investigation by the group show that two palm oil firms in Central Kalimantan, both of them members of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO), endangered orangutan populations with their clear-cutting.
But, RSPO spokeswoman Desi Kusmadewi denied the accusation, saying the RSPO sought to improve environmental practices within the palm oil industry.
The province is home to the countrys largest orangutan population.
In 2004, there were 31,300 orangutans but the figure was declining by 9 percent each year, with the current population at 20,032, as estimated by the COP. (ANI)
- Oil palm on peatlands trigger greenhouse gas: Study - Apr 27, 2012
- Indian palm oil firms make Indonesian eco-disaster: Greenpeace - Jun 19, 2012
- Palm oil business killing orangutans: French filmmaker - Mar 02, 2011
- Like in humans, culture influences ape behaviour - Oct 21, 2011
- Eco-tourism can stress wild orangutans - Mar 19, 2012
- Orangutans are smart designers: Study - Apr 18, 2012
- How Prince Charles' food is destroying rainforests - May 02, 2009
- New orangutan population discovered in Indonesia - Apr 13, 2009
- Three killed in Indonesia bridge collapse - Nov 26, 2011
- Orangutan's "kiss squeaks" make them more intimidating to predators - Aug 05, 2009
- 25 killed, 13 injured in Indonesia accident - Aug 19, 2009
- Animal lovers slam Thailand's orangutan kick boxing matches - Apr 12, 2010
- Palm-oil plan may save the world's last orangutans - Jul 23, 2009
- 'Energy efficient' orangutans need less food fuel than we do - Aug 03, 2010
- Wild orangutans are declining more sharply in Sumatra and Borneo than previously estimated - Jul 04, 2008