Oram may not play in IPLMarch 6th, 2009 - 2:24 pm ICT by ANI
Wellington, Mar 6 (ANI): New Zealand all rounder Jacob Oram has expressed reservations about playing in next months Indian Premier League after the terrorist attack on Sri Lankan cricket team in Pakistan.
Oram is contracted to the Chennai Super Kings for 675,000 dollars a year, but Oram said on Thursday that no amount of money would persuade him to put his life in danger.
Oram admitted that the eight deaths in Lahore on Tuesday, coming so soon after the Mumbai terror attacks in November, in which more than 170 died, had unnerved him and made touring India no longer a straightforward exercise.
The IPL financially has opened doors that I only dream about, but I”m married now and it would take a lot for me to turn a blind eye to what has gone on, The Dominion Post quoted Oram, as saying.
I know the players associations are trying to up the security at the IPL. Obviously I have to find out a little bit more about it. If we can be assured of our safety then I wouldnt say no to it just yet, but if it gets worse then weve seriously got to look it.
Oram admitted that he would still think twice about his involvement in the Twenty20 showpiece, even if security experts gave the green light.
After what happened in Mumbai late last year and after what happened last night, it keeps raising questions. Before that I would have no worries about going to India, but now there are questions to be asked.
Heath Mills (New Zealand Cricket Players Association Chief Executive), FICA (the world players association) and the ICC are looking into the security measures there because last year, during the IPL, it was such a circus feeling with all the fanfare, Oram said.
Now, reality has hit home and you know that when you are on the sub continent, things that we take for granted here, like safety and freedom of doing what you want to do, are not available over there, he added.
New Zealand Cricket said on Thursday that the end-of-year tour to Pakistan would not go ahead, but later said the tour was unlikely.
Oram said he felt sorry for Pakistani players and its administrators because future matches would have to be played at neutral venues. (ANI)
Tags: amount of money, blind eye, continent, cricket players, dominion post, fanfare, going to india, jacob oram, lahore, new zealand cricket, no worries, premier league, rounder, security experts, showpiece, sri lankan cricket, sri lankan cricket team, terror attacks, terrorist attack, wellington