Opener Hughes now a fill-in player for AustraliaJanuary 4th, 2011 - 5:01 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Jan. 4 (ANI): Australian and New South Wales opener Phil Hughes is in danger of being left behind as a Test player.
Once touted as a wunderkind of Australian cricket, Hughes is now seen as a bit part player. And he’s only 22.
Hughes walked out to open the batting on the first day of the Sydney Test with the warm applause of his home crowd behind him, but the latter were cheering for the anticipated debut of fellow NSW player and Pakistan-born Usman Khawaja.
So when Khawaja, all of 24, walked, jogged and then almost danced to the centre to face the first ball after lunch, the throaty adrenalin roar of the crowd was saved for him, Fox Sports reports.
Hughes had departed the ball before the break in almost tragic circumstances, if there can be any real tragedy in succeeding or failing at sport. He had done all the hard work on a green-tinged seaming wicket under leaden skies. (ANI)
- Usman Khawaja considering moving to Queensland - May 01, 2012
- Ferguson, Khawaja selection is good news for Hussey - Nov 09, 2010
- Khawaja, Beer to make debuts in Sydney Ashes Test - Jan 02, 2011
- Humbled Khawaja recalls aspects of Test debut - Jan 09, 2011
- Pak-born Khawaja becomes first Muslim to represent Australia in Test cricket - Jun 22, 2010
- Usman Khawaja joins Derbyshire - Jan 21, 2011
- Green SCG wicket could hinder Ashes hopes of Khawaja, Hughes: Watson - Nov 10, 2010
- Khawaja says he's ready for Test call up if Punter pulls out - Dec 20, 2010
- Australia's middle order 'cup of woe runneth over' - Nov 17, 2010
- Hughes vows to fight back after being left out of Oz Ashes squad - Nov 16, 2010
- Pakistan-born Australian cricketer granted India visa - Aug 10, 2011
- Khawaja will challenge Ponting for no 3 slot, says Waugh - Jan 04, 2011
- Pakistani-born Australian cricketer being denied Indian visa - Aug 09, 2011
- 'Calm and composed' Pak-born Oz bat Usman destined for big stage success, says father - Jun 26, 2010
- Khawaja will be a standby for Ponting - Dec 21, 2010
Tags: australia sydney, australian cricket, bit part, debut, fellow, fox sports, home crowd, leaden skies, left behind, lunch, new south wales, phil hughes, roar, sports reports, test player, tragedy, tragic circumstances, warm applause, wicket, wunderkind