Only Ronaldo can save Man U, feels FergieApril 15th, 2009 - 5:48 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr.15 (ANI): Manchester United coach-cum-manager Sir Alex Ferguson has urged striker Cristiano Ronaldo to emulate Roy Keane’s Turin tour de force and keep the club in the hunt for the Champions League title in their match against Porto tonight.
Last season’s top marksman in Europe’s elite tournament with eight, Ronaldo has only scored once in it this term and, significantly, only four of his 20 goals in all competitions have come away from Old Trafford.
At the same time last season, he had scored 38 goals, with 14 coming on his travels and he ended up with 42, of which 16 were scored on away grounds.
According to the Daily Express, Ferguson’s prediction before last week’s home leg that his star players would rise to the big occasion proved wide of the mark, certainly in Ronaldo’s case.
His misplaced pass led to Porto’s early goal and he was constantly frustrated in his efforts to make amends as the Portuguese champions snatched a 2-2 draw that makes them favourites to reach the last four.
A decade has passed since they last won a knockout tie in Europe after playing at home first - the semi-final epic with Juventus. In 1999 they had been held to a 1-1 draw at Old Trafford and were 2-0 down after only 11 minutes in the Stadio delle Alpi. (ANI)
- Estadio da Luz in Lisbon to host 2014 Champions League final - Mar 21, 2012
- Juventus beat Inter Milan in Serie A - Mar 26, 2012
- Milan lose to Lazio while Inter draw with Palermo - Feb 02, 2012
- Milan keep pressure on Juventus with win over Novara - Jan 23, 2012
- Juventus kick-off season with win - Aug 26, 2012
- Juventus back on top of Serie A with win over Cesena - Dec 05, 2011
- Four-goal Bayern crush Juve; joy for Real, AC Milan, CSKA - Dec 09, 2009
- Champions League: Barcelona held by Milan, Arsenal by Dortmund - Sep 14, 2011
- Juventus looking for Van Persie - May 09, 2012
- Benfica in Champions League quarters after six years - Mar 07, 2012
- Champions League: Barcelona, Chelsea, Arsenal and AC Milan win - Oct 20, 2011
- Fergie targets century of Champions League wins - Mar 15, 2011
- Forlan ends goal drought with double - Sep 03, 2012
- Inter upset by Lecce as Milan win to chase Juventus - Jan 30, 2012
- AC Milan back to top with win over Cesena - Feb 20, 2012
Tags: alex ferguson, champions league, competitions, daily express, elite, fergie, home leg, juventus, knockout, manchester united, marksman, old trafford, playing at home, porto, ronaldo, roy keane, sir alex ferguson, stadio, star players, turin