Ominous Federer lays down chilling warning ahead of Australian OpenJanuary 17th, 2009 - 4:33 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jan 17 (ANI): World number two Roger Federer sounded an ominous warning to his Australian Open opponents, sweeping to a comfortable straight-sets victory over Stanislas Wawrinka in the Kooyong Classic finals today.
Federer was ruthless in demolishing fellow Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka 6-1 6-3 in just 57 minutes, the Courier Mail reported.
The result is an ideal tune-up for Federer as he enters the Australian Open looking to equal Pete Samprass record of 14 grand slam titles.
Federer raced through the first set in 25 minutes, breaking serve in the first, third and final games.
He broke immediately in the second to lead 2-0 and was untroubled throughout, despite some uncharacteristic volleying errors.
Federer sealed the match with an easy smash after setting up two match points. The pair had met twice previously in ATP events with Federer winning both times in straight sets.
It was Federers second Kooyong title - he won the 2005 edition of the eight-man exhibition event.
He described todays match as wonderful preparation for the Australian Open.
I dont want to get too excited but I think I played a really great match today against Stan, Federer said.
Earlier in the play-off for third Spains Fernando Verdasco defeated Chilean Fernando Gonzalez 6-4 6-3. (ANI)
- Federer, Djokovic reach quarters of Australian Open - Jan 23, 2011
- Federer crushes Wawrinka, enters Oz Open semi-final for eighth time - Jan 25, 2011
- Triumphant Nadal blows past Verdasco and closer to final - Sep 10, 2010
- Murray, Roddick sniff for Kooyong entries, Federer ponders decision - Jan 04, 2010
- Chennai Open: Wawrinka survives a scare - Jan 05, 2012
- Jokovic struggles with court and qualifier before winning - May 09, 2012
- Triumphant Nadal paces Spain into US Open quarter-finals - Sep 08, 2010
- Top seeds have comfortable outing in Australian Open - Jan 20, 2012
- Federer beats Murray for 7th Wimbledon title (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Federer declines Kooyong place; doors open for Murray, Roddick - Jan 10, 2010
- Nadal advances to US Open semi-finals - Sep 10, 2010
- Gulbis win prevents Spanish sweep in Rome - May 01, 2010
- Federer beats Mahut to enter French Open fourth round - Jun 02, 2012
- Nadal sends new father Simon home; Stan slams Murray - Sep 06, 2010
- Tipsarevic stuns Djokovic in Madrid Open - May 12, 2012
Tags: atp events, australian open, courier mail, exhibition event, fernando gonzalez, fernando verdasco, final games, grand slam titles, man exhibition, match points, melbourne, ominous warning, opponents, pete samprass, roger federer, stan, stanislas wawrinka, straight sets, victory