Olympics women’s hockey: China lose to Japan, miss making semisAugust 7th, 2012 - 3:08 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 7 (IANS) China failed to reach the women’s hockey semifinals at the London Olympics after losing to Japan 0-1 in the last round of group matches.
China collected seven points from two vicories, one draw and two losses in the round-and-robin phase to finish third in pool A. Only the top two teams from each group advance to the semifinals.
It was China’s first loss to Japan in a major tournament.
“We’d never defeated China in official games. We had only beaten them in some friendlies,” Japanese coach Yuji Nagai said. “I’m very happy with the results.”
Rika Komazawa scored from a scramble in the front of the Chinese goal in the second half.
“Japan were lucky to score from a goalmouth melee. But It’s not an excuse, we didn’t play our normal game,” said Chinese coach Gao Lihua.
The result paved the way for the Netherlands and Britain ro make the semifinals regardless of the outcome of their last group matches.
China needed a victory to force Britain to draw with the Netherlands, while a five-goal margin would have left the host nation requiring a win against the defending champions.
The Netherlands kept their unbeaten record by defeating Britain 2-1 late Monday night and Britain finished second with a 3-2 win-loss record.
In the other pool, Argentina drew 0-0 with Australia to finish atop ahead of New Zealand.
The three teams had the same record of 3-1-1, and Argentina took No.1 due to better goal difference while Australia finished third.
- India eves in final of junior Asia Cup - Jul 06, 2012
- Asian Champions Trophy: Indian women lose bronze to Japan - Sep 10, 2011
- Olympic hockey: Netherlands beat Argentina to defend women's title - Aug 11, 2012
- Indian women hold Japan in last hockey Test - Mar 24, 2010
- South African men's hockey team qualifies for London Olympics - May 06, 2012
- India face Holland in Olympic hockey opener - May 22, 2012
- 2000 Sydney Olympics: Controversies affect India's chances (Sports Special) - Jul 22, 2012
- Final medal table at 2012 London Olympic Games - Aug 13, 2012
- Asian Games hockey: Indian women lose to China 1-2 - Nov 22, 2010
- Indian women beat Japan 2-0 in hockey World Cup - Sep 06, 2010
- India get a tough draw in women's hockey World Cup - May 20, 2010
- Indian women's hockey team in tough World Cup pool - May 04, 2010
- Germany, the Netherlands and Korea have a realistic chance (Preview) - Mar 08, 2010
- Euro 2012 Group B Preview: Many challenges in Group of Death - Jun 05, 2012
- Olympics: Medals' tally (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: china, coach, excuse, gao, goal difference, host nation, japan, london olympics, losses, melee, monday night, netherlands, new zealand, official games, olympics, pool argentina, second half, seven points, unbeaten record, victory