Olympics: Wang retires to hand Saina badminton bronze (Lead)August 4th, 2012 - 8:30 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 4 (IANS/RIA Novosti) India’s Saina Nehwal won women’s singles bronze in badminton Saturday when her opponent Wang Xin of China broke down with a knee injury after taking the opening game.
Nehwal, ranked fifth in the world, becomes only the second Indian woman to win a medal in an individual Olympic sport.
Wang, a former World No.1 and current No.2, hurt her knee when she landed heavily on her right knee following a jump smash.
She had it taped up and went back on court to smash a winner and take the first game, but collapsed on the second point of the second game, and promptly conceded.
The score was 21-18, 1-0.
The gold medal match, later Saturday, is an all-China affair between World No.1 Wang Yihan and No.4 Li Xuerui.
Earlier in the day, Russia won its first ever badminton medal when Valeria Sorokina and Nina Vislova crushed Canada’s Alex Bruce and Li Michele to take bronze in the women’s doubles.
The competition was weakened considerably with the disqualification of four pairs, including China’s No.1 seeds Wang Xiaoli and Yu Yang, for match fixing.
- Olympic badminton: Li Xuerui beats No.1 Wang for gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Russia earns first medal in women's doubles - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic badminton: China win women's doubles gold - Aug 05, 2012
- Japanese shuttler wins Russian Open - Jul 01, 2012
- Saina aims for gold in Rio - Aug 07, 2012
- Wang Shixian left out Chinese Olympic badminton squad - Jul 11, 2012
- Chinese badminton head coach blames referee for player's injury - Aug 05, 2012
- PM congratulates Saina - Aug 04, 2012
- I can hope and try, not predict: Saina Nehwal (Interview) - Jul 16, 2012
- Olympic badminton: World No.1 Wang Yihan too good for Saina (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- China vows to take back Uber Cup - May 18, 2012
- Saina in Indonesia Open final, Kashyap loses (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Chinese off to a good start - Jul 29, 2012
- Saina aims for greater feats after Olympic bronze (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Saina enters fourth final at Indonesia Open, Kashyap loses (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: alex, badminton, first game, gold medal, indian woman, knee injury, match, michele, nina, olympic sport, olympics, opponent, pairs, ria novosti, saina nehwal, second game, seeds, valeria, xiaoli, xin