Olympics TT: Ding romps into semisJuly 31st, 2012 - 8:51 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 31 (IANS) World champion Ding Ning beat Japanese Ai Fukuhara in straight sets to cruise into the women’s singles semifinals at the Olympic table tennis tournament Tuesday.
Ding, also a World Cup winner, fought a close game at the beginning before pulling away for a 15-13, 11-7, 11-6, 11-4 victory, reports Xinhua.
Earlier, Japanese Kasumi Ishikawa trounced Singapore’s Wang Yue Gu 8-11, 11-5, 11-4, 11-8, 11-4 to reach the last four.
Wang’s teammate Feng Tianwei earlier sailed into the semifinals with a 13-11, 11-7, 4-11, 11-6, 10-12, 12-10 win over the world’s top defensive player, Kim Kyung-Ah from South Korea.
Chinese Li Xiaoxia will take on Li Jiao, a former Chinese playing for the Netherlands, in the other quarterfinal.
- Chinese Li takes TT gold in controversial final - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Chinese paddlers cautious of risks in early matches - Jul 27, 2012
- Chinese women enter World TT semis - Mar 30, 2012
- Olympics: China wins gold in women's table tennis - Aug 08, 2012
- Chinese women seal quarterfinal slot at TT world meet - Mar 28, 2012
- Singapore wins Olympic table tennis team bronze medal - Aug 07, 2012
- China usual favourites at World TT Championships - Mar 23, 2012
- China reign supreme at World TT - Apr 02, 2012
- Olympics: Chinese won't have it easy at London - Jul 26, 2012
- Sharath Kamal storms into Indian Open semis - Jun 19, 2010
- Olympic table tennis: China's Zhang Jike wins gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Ovtcharov, Hirano win Indian Open - Jun 20, 2010
- Qualifier Ankita Das storms into quarters of World Junior TT - Nov 19, 2011
- Asian TT: Indian men stretch Chinese Taipei in quarters - Feb 27, 2012
- Winning start by Indian teams at Asian Squash - May 02, 2012
Tags: ai fukuhara, defensive player, jiao, kasumi, kim kyung ah, olympic table tennis, olympics, quarterfinal, romps, south korea, straight sets, table tennis tournament, teammate, trounced, victory, world champion, world cup winner, xiaoxia, xinhua, yue