Olympics TT: Ankita exits after losing openerJuly 28th, 2012 - 7:55 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 28 (IANS) Indian paddler Ankita Das stretched higher-ranked Sara Ramirez before going down in the women’s singles first round of table tennis competitions at the London Olympics here Saturday.
The 19-year-old lost to the 83rd-ranked Spaniard 9-11, 8-11, 7-11, 11-8, 2-11 to exit from the competition.
Ankita, making her Olympic debut here, seemed overwhelmed by the occasion. The Indian did well to win the fourth game but committed far too many un-forced errors through out the match. The World No.226 was particularly found wanting against controlling top spin drives of her opponent.
Later in the day, World No.206 Soumyajit Ghosh faces Brazilian Gustavo Tsuboi in the men’s singles first round.
- Olympic TT: Inexperienced Ankita crashes out (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympic TT: Ghosh's loss ends Indian challenge - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Kashyap brings cheer on a mixed day for India (Evening Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympics: Indian paddler Ghosh wins; Ankita exits (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympics: Kashyap, Soumyajit bring hope on a gloomy day for India (India round-up) - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Vijender, Kashyap and Ghosh keep India's spirits up (Overall Roundup) - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympic TT: The first-timers have everything to gain (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Qualifier Ankita Das storms into quarters of World Junior TT - Nov 19, 2011
- Inter-institutional TT: Most seeded players in pre-quarters - Aug 26, 2012
- India win eight titles in ITTF junior TT event - Oct 02, 2011
- India assured of maiden team bronze in World Junior TT - Nov 14, 2011
- London dreams of Indian paddlers shattered - May 12, 2012
- Olympic qualifying: Men paddlers top groups, Ankita in second stage - Apr 19, 2012
- World Junior TT: Ankita Das goes down fighting in quarters - Nov 20, 2011
- Inter-Institutional TT: Manika, Shamini, Mouma lose - Aug 26, 2012