Olympics: South Korea’s Park reinstated for final after disqualified (Lead)July 29th, 2012 - 12:33 am ICT by IANS
London, July 28 (IANS) South Korean swimming sensation Park Tae Hwan won an appeal against disqualification in the men’s 400m freestyle heats and was reinstated for Saturday evening’s final of the London Olympic Games.
The decision was made after a meet of FINA Jury of Appeal at the London Aquatics Centre, reported Xinhua.
The FINA Jury of Appeal examined the protest lodged by the Korean Swimming Federation regarding Park’s disqualification, and decided to reinstate his berth in the 400m freestyle final based on the recommendation of the FINA Technical Swimming Commission.
Earlier in the day, Park, gold winner of the event at Beijing Olympics and the 2011 Shanghai World Championships, was disqualified by a judge on the pool deck for a false start. He told reporters he didn’t know why he was disqualified and would discuss with his coach for further reaction.
Park’s strongest rival Chinese Sun Yang, who smashed Grant Hackett’s decade-old 1,500m freestyle world mark at the Shanghai Worlds, posted the fastest qualifying time at 3:45.07 to book a last-eight berth.
- South Korean swimmer disqualified from 400m freestyle - Jul 28, 2012
- South Korea aims 10 gold medals at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Gagan sole Indian representative in swimming at London - Jul 07, 2012
- Two Pakistani swimmers allowed to compete in Olympics - Jun 09, 2012
- Olympics: Dana Vollmer sets world record in women's 100m butterfly - Jul 30, 2012
- Phelps wins 200m freestyle at US Olympic trials - Jun 28, 2012
- Top divers to compete in World Cup and Olympic test - Feb 18, 2012
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- Indian swimmer Khade qualifies for 2012 Olympics - Jul 27, 2011
- Lochte beats Phelps in 400m medley - Jun 26, 2012
- Phelps gives up 200m for London Olympics - Jul 03, 2012
- Asian Games close with China dominant as never before (Lead) - Nov 27, 2010
- Olympic swimming champ Adlington books London ticket - Mar 05, 2012
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
Tags: 400m freestyle, 500m, aquatics centre, beijing olympics, berth, fina, gold winner, grant hackett, olympic games, olympics, park tae hwan, pool deck, s park, saturday evening, sensation, shanghai, south korea, south korean, world championships, xinhua