Olympics: Schmitt steers US to 4×200m freestyle relay goldAugust 2nd, 2012 - 2:41 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 2 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Allison Schmitt anchored the American girls to Olympic gold in the 4×200 metres freestyle relay here.
Schmitt charged down Australia’s Alicia Coutts to take gold for the US in 7 minutes, 43.92 seconds, an Olympic record.
“I knew it was going to be close,” Schmitt said Wednesday.
“I was just trying to swim my own race and save legs on that first 50m, just like I did last night and bring it home strong for the US.”
Coutts, meanwhile, focused on the positives.
“I got a phone call at quarter past twelve today telling me I was in the relay. I was a bit nervous coming in. Hopefully, I made the girls proud with what I did.”
The Australians, who won the 4×100m relay Saturday, clocked 7:44.41, while France, the early leader, hung on for bronze in 7:47.49.
- France's Muffat grabs 400m freestyle gold - Jul 30, 2012
- Schmitt wins women's 200m freestyle - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: Van Rijsselberge surfs to sailing Gold - Aug 07, 2012
- Phelps retiring at right time: Soviet gymnast Latynina - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Kromowidjojo blazes to 100m freestyle gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic rowing: New Zealand's Drysdale takes single sculls gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic swimming: French Agnel destroys field for 200-m free gold - Jul 31, 2012
- Phelps becomes history's most medaled Olympian (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- List of American swimmers for London Games - Jul 03, 2012
- Olympics: Zhe wins parallel bars gold for China - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic swimming: Clary shocks Lochte for 200m backstroke gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic swimming: Franklin backstrokes to 100-m gold - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympics: Britain's Brownlee slogs to triathlon gold - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic rowing: Germans row to quadruple sculls gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: China's Lin Qinfeng lifts 69-kg gold - Aug 01, 2012