Olympics: Ram Singh finishes 78th in men’s marathonAugust 12th, 2012 - 7:55 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 12 (IANS) Armyman Ram Singh Yadav finished 78th with a time of 2:30.06 hours in the Olympic men’s marathon here at The Mall Sunday, marking the end of India’s athletics campaign at the London Games.
Uganda’s Stephen Kiprotich won his country’s first gold medal in 40 years with a time of 2:08.01. Kiprotich beat Kenya’s current World Champion Abel Kirui by 26 seconds.
The bronze went to another Kenyan, Wilson Kipsang Kiprotich, who led for much of the race but faded in the final stages and finished 10 seconds behind Kirui.
Ram Singh had clocked a career-best 2:16.59 in the Mumbai Marathon earlier in January to enter the Olympics with a ‘B’ qualification mark, which was 2:18.00.
The 31-year-old ended India’s 32-year wait at the Olympic marathon. The last Indian to qualify for the Olympics was Shivnath Singh, who finished 11th in the 1976 Montreal Games but could not finish in the 1980 Moscow edition.
Ram Singh missed the Beijing Games by a whisker of three seconds when he finished with a time of 2:18.23 and the ‘B’ qualification mark was 2:18.20.
- US claim basketball gold, Ugandan marathon (Overall World Roundup) - Aug 13, 2012
- Olympics: Uganda celebrates first gold after 40 years - Aug 13, 2012
- World Athletics: Kenya's Kirui men's marathon title - Sep 04, 2011
- World marathon record will soon fall: Kenyan runners - Feb 08, 2012
- Kenya eyes seven golds at London Olympics - Jul 17, 2012
- Olympics: Sushil secures silver on concluding day (India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Kenyans sweep 10K Run - May 27, 2012
- Kipsang, Keitany win London marathon - Apr 22, 2012
- Mumbai Marathon: Kenya's Moiben, Ethiopia's Abeyo win (Second Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- No pomp as downcast Kenyans return from London Games - Aug 16, 2012
- Kenya's Kipsang to debut in Berlin Marathon - Sep 14, 2012
- Mutai, Kabuu squeeze into Kenya's Olympic marathon squad - May 18, 2012
- More than 6,000 join Mawana Sugars Indian Open Marathon - Feb 11, 2012
- Mumbai Marathon: A carnival on the streets of Bollywood country (Roundup) - Jan 15, 2012
- Fauja Singh calls it a day-only for full marathons! - Apr 23, 2012
Tags: abel, armyman, beijing, gold medal, India, london games, marathon london, montreal games, moscow, mumbai, olympic marathon, olympic men, olympics, qualify for the olympics, ram singh, uganda, whisker, world champion, yadav