Olympics: Queen ‘Bonds’ with Craig at opening ceremonyJuly 28th, 2012 - 5:33 am ICT by IANS
London, July 28 (IANS) It was a rare occasion when Queen Elizabeth II played a cameo with James Bond actor Daniel Craig in a surreal film that awed spectators at the Olympic Park during the colourful opening ceremony of the 2012 London Games here Friday.
It was a rare informal appearance for the queen that drew huge cheers from the crowd. It was a master stroke by British director Danny Boyle, who conceptualised the opening ceremony.
A film showed James Bond, played by Daniel Craig, visiting Buckingham Palace to see the queen.
Bond had come to escort the queen to the Olympic Park via a helicopter.
Cut to the stadium, a body double of the queen jumped from a helicopter and floated down with a Union Jack parachute.
The spotlight then turned to the central dias where the queen was escorted by Prince Phillip and was welcomed by International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Jacques Rogge.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams, British Prime Minister David Cameron, his wife Samantha Cameron and other members of the audience applauded as the queen took her seat.
- Boyle's Olympic creation narrative of British history (Roundup) - Jul 28, 2012
- Zoo animals have their own games (Olympic diary) - Aug 10, 2012
- William, Harry didn't know queen was 'Bond girl' - Aug 04, 2012
- London Games opening ceremony kicks-off at 9 p.m. - Jul 26, 2012
- Spectacular, innovative opening to 2012 London Olympics (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- James Bond to open London Olympics - Apr 01, 2012
- Wills, Kate's 'balcony kiss' key wedding moment! - Jan 06, 2011
- Queen's beloved Corgi dies - Sep 10, 2012
- Olympics closing ceremony, a crazy mix of spicy music (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- British guard stuns paperless Cameron - Jul 31, 2012
- Royal couple to get pre-marital counselling - Dec 09, 2010
- New 'James Bond' movie named 'Skyfall' - Nov 03, 2011
- I am not funny: Daniel Craig - Sep 03, 2012
- Daniel Craig is the best Bond: Roger Moore - Aug 29, 2012
- Queen in a helicopter, Beckham on a boat: what more can you ask for? (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
Tags: archbishop of canterbury, archbishop of canterbury rowan williams, ban ki moon, bond actor, british director, british prime minister, buckingham palace, daniel craig, david cameron, director danny boyle, international olympic committee, ioc president jacques rogge, london games, master stroke, minister david, olympic park, prince phillip, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, un secretary general