Olympics: Putin lauds ‘brilliant’ Russian judo goldsAugust 3rd, 2012 - 6:28 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 3 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russian President Vladimir Putin Thursday lauded the “brilliant” performance of Russia’s judo exponents at the London Olympics, where they have won three gold medals.
Putin cheered from the stands as Tagir Khaibulaev, the 2011 world champion, beat reigning Olympic champion Naidan Tuvshinbayar of Mongolia in the men’s 100kg category final by ippon.
It was a third gold at these Games for Russia after Arsen Galstyan won the 60kg category Saturday and Mansur Isaev took gold in the 73kg.
“It’s a brilliant success, the likes of which we’ve never had in the history of Russian or Soviet sport,” Putin said.
Ivan Nifontov won bronze in the 81kg on Tuesday, adding up to four judo medals for Russia in total.
“As far as I know, before there was only was such victory, at the Moscow Olympics,” Putin said, referring to the five medals, including two golds, won by the Soviets in 1980.
Putin’s one-day trip, his first to Britain in nine years, saw the Russian leader discuss the Syrian conflict and energy cooperation with Cameron, as well as dropping in on the judo.
Putin is a judo black belt and starred in the instructional video “Let’s Learn Judo With Vladimir Putin” in 2008.
- Olympic judo: Kim scores revenge over Bischof for gold - Aug 01, 2012
- Galstyan wins first gold for Russia in judo - Jul 28, 2012
- Putin to cheer for Russian judokas in Olympics - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Late gold rush saves Russia's blushes ahead of Sochi - Aug 13, 2012
- Olympic judo: France's Riner wins gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Putin to host Russian Olympic team in Kremlin - Jul 21, 2012
- Olymic wrestling: Vlasov ends Russia's wait for gold - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympics judo: Cuba's Ortiz wins gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Russian Olympic winners to get state awards - Aug 15, 2012
- Russian Olympic medallists given luxury cars - Aug 16, 2012
- Putin may visit London for Olympics - Jun 20, 2012
- Olympics: Back injury dashes Russian weightlifter's hopes - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Russian Vorobieva pins down gold - Aug 10, 2012
- Gold for France's Decosse in women's 70 kg judo - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Chicherova soars to high jump gold for Russia - Aug 12, 2012
Tags: 100kg, arsen, brilliant performance, brilliant success, energy cooperation, exponents, gold medals, ippon, london olympics, mansur, moscow olympics, olympic champion, president vladimir putin, ria novosti, russian leader, russian president vladimir, russian president vladimir putin, snb, vladimir putin, world champion