Olympics: Powell a major doubt for remainder of seasonAugust 7th, 2012 - 3:10 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 7 (IANS/CMC) Luckless Jamaican sprinter Asafa Powell may have run his last race for the season. Powell pulled up in Sunday’s final of the Olympic men’s 100m here, but managed to cross the line last in 11.99 seconds.
His manager Paul Doyle said following the results of scans Monday that it was unlikely the 30-year-old will race again this year. This would mean that the sprinter might not take part in 4×100m relay with Usain Bolt and Yohan Blake, reports CMC.
“I don’t think it looks good for the rest of the season for Asafa,” he was quoted as saying.
“The ultrasound has shown that there are new damages to the abductor muscles and also some scar tissue damage from an old injury in another area.”
He has been dogged by injury this season but managed to get through the qualifying rounds with relative ease.
Doyle said Powell was scheduled to have an MRI scan Monday night.
Despite breaking the 10-second barrier a record 79 times, Powell has never won an individual medal at the Olympic Games.
- Olympics: Jamaicans rejoice as Bolt wins 100m final - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympics: Bolt, Blake headline weekend track action - Aug 03, 2012
- Powell issues warning to Bolt by winning in Hungary - Jul 31, 2011
- Olympics: Blake downplays experience factor in 100m contest - Aug 02, 2012
- World Athletics Championship: Jamaican minister laments Powell 100m exit - Aug 27, 2011
- Sluggish Bolt wins as sharp Blake also triumphs - Sep 08, 2012
- Bolt squares off with Powell again in Oslo - Jun 07, 2012
- Powell eyes London Olympics to end title drought - Aug 28, 2011
- Bolt escapes unhurt in a minor car crash - Jun 11, 2012
- Pound's drug remark about Jamaican athletes rubbished - Aug 15, 2012
- Carl Lewis doubts Bolt's Olympics 100m title defence - Jul 15, 2012
- Tired Bolt eyes world-leading time in Brussels - Sep 16, 2011
- Asafa Powell says he is favourite to win World title - Aug 25, 2011
- Bolt answers critics with world-leading time - Jun 01, 2012
- Blake, James win Zurich Diamond League - Sep 09, 2011
Tags: abductor muscles, bolt, damages, doubt, london, monday night, mri scan, olympic games, olympic men, olympics, paul doyle, remainder, scar tissue, sprinter, tissue damage, ultrasound, vm, yohan blake