Olympics: Phelps adds another featherAugust 3rd, 2012 - 7:15 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 3 (IANS) Michael Phelps’ Olympic legend grew even greater as he defeated Ryan Lochte to win the gold medal in the men’s 200 meter medley Thursday.
Phelps has now won an incredible 20 Olympic medals, of which 16 are gold medals, Xinhua reported.
His win also made him the first man to win the same title in three consecutive Olympics.
It was the perfect race as he begins counting off the remaining races of his career, which will end Sunday.
“It’s a relief to win an individual gold, it is special. I fell short in the first couple of event so to be able to do something no man has done is a cool feeling,” said Phelps afterwards.
“It was hard, but it is really nice to be able to add to my CV. It hurt and I over-swam the first 100 meters, but I am not going to complain about it,” the US swimmer added.
- Phelps confirms retirement after London Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics swimming: Rochte claims gold, Phelps off podium (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Phelps to swim 400m medley at US trials - Jun 25, 2012
- Phelps and I will still be friends, says Lochte - Jul 29, 2012
- Lochte overtakes Phelps for gold in World Swimming Championships - Jul 26, 2011
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Lochte impressed by Chinese swimmer Ye Shiwen at Olympics - Jul 29, 2012
- Phelps becomes history's most medaled Olympian (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: Dana Vollmer sets world record in women's 100m butterfly - Jul 30, 2012
- Phelps retiring at right time: Soviet gymnast Latynina - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic swimming: Clary shocks Lochte for 200m backstroke gold - Aug 03, 2012
- British Olympic chief defends Chinese swimmer Ye - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympics: Rochte claims first gold in London, Phelps off podium - Jul 29, 2012
- Phelps wants to have fun at Olympic swansong - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,