Olympics: New Zealand rowers set recordsJuly 29th, 2012 - 3:59 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 29 (IANS) The New Zealand rowers had a strong start to their Olympic regatta, setting a new world and Olympic record on the first day of the competition here.
The men’s pair of Hamish Bond and Eric Murray set a world record time of 6:08.50 to secure their place in the semifinals, Xinhua reports. Bond and Murray have been unbeaten since 2009.
In the men’s double sculls, world champions Nathan Cohen and Joseph Sullivan set a new Olympic record of 6:11.30 in the heats to claim a place in the semifinals.
Mahe Drysdale, the bronze medalist in Beijing, easily won his heat in the men’s single sculls and will move through to Tuesday’s quarterfinals.
Women’s single sculler Emma Twigg also had a comfortable win in her heat, progressing to the quarters.
The World Champion women’s pair of Juliette Haigh and Rebecca Scown were the first New Zealand crew in action at the rowing on the opening day of the Games and eased through their heat to be second behind Australia.
Both teams advanced straight to the final, joining the top two teams from the first heat - Helen Glover and Heather Stanning from Britain and Sara Hendershot and Sarah Zelenka from the US. The remaining teams will battle it out in the repechage for a berth in the final.
The men’s quadruple sculls team of Michael Arms, Robbie Manson, John Storey and Matthew Trott finished last of the four teams in their heat but will have another chance to progress in the repechage.
The women’s quadruple sculls team of Fiona Bourke, Sarah Gray, Eve Macfarlane and Louise Trappitt finished third in their heat.
- Rowing world champion Drysdale eyes maiden Olympic gold - Jul 26, 2012
- Olympics: Indian rowers in sem-final - Jul 31, 2012
- Schedule of events involving Indian athletes at the London Olympics Sunday - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Schedule of events involving Indian athletes Sunday - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Indian rowers Sandeep-Manjeet in repechage (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Rowers give Britain first home gold - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympic rowing: New Zealand's Drysdale takes single sculls gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic rowing: Sawarn Singh finishes 16th in single sculls - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Wrestler Geeta, high jumper Sahana out (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Jai Bhagwan, Vijender add lustre to India's campaign (Intro Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Jai Bhagwan, Vijender add shine to India's campaign (Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Jai Bhagwan stay on course as archers, shooters bow out (Overall Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Vijender, Jai Bhagwan keep India's hopes alive (Evening Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- London Olympics to go down as Athletes' Games: IOC chief - Aug 13, 2012
- Olympic rowing: Germans row to quadruple sculls gold - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: bronze medalist, champion women, emma twigg, eric murray, haigh, helen glover, hendershot, john storey, joseph sullivan, mahe, nathan cohen, olympic record, olympic regatta, repechage, rowers, sarah gray, sculler, world champion, world record time, zelenka