Olympics: Lithuania bags historic gold in swimmingJuly 31st, 2012 - 6:31 am ICT by IANS
London, July 31 (IANS) Lithuanian teenager Ruta Meilutyte stole the headlines in the pool at the London Olympics Monday as she gave her country the first Olympic swimming gold in the women’s 100 metres breaststroke.
On her international debut, the 15-year-old Meilutyte clocked 1:05.47 to touch the wall first, Xinhua reported.
American Rebecca Soni, silver medallist at Beijing Games, chased her to finish second in 1:05.55. The bronze medal went to Japan’s Satomi Suzuki who posted 1:06.46.
“I can’t believe it. It’s too much for me,” said Meilutyte in tears.
“It was hard and difficult. At the moment I can’t speak too much. But it means a lot to me and I’m so proud,” said Meilutyte, who trains in Plymouth, Britain.
She easily seized the lead after diving off the block, and never looked back to touch the end. A capacity of Lithuanian athletes, coaches and volunteers roared on the tribune for her, sharing with her the historic success.
Soni was little disappointed for a silver but she said learned something along the way.
It is the first-ever Olympic medal for Lithuania. Meilutyte is the sole female swimmer of her country in London together with other three male swimmers in the squad.
A day before, the teenager blazed set an European record of 1:05.21 in the women’s 100 metres breaststroke semifinal as the fastest qualifier, also her personal best.
Only three swimmers have been faster than Meilutyte in history, world record holder Jessica Hardy (1:04.45), Rebecca Soni (1:04.84) and Liesel Jones (1:05.09).
- 15-years-old swimmer wins gold at the London Olympics - Jul 31, 2012
- London Olympics to go down as Athletes' Games: IOC chief - Aug 13, 2012
- Records continue to tumble at world championships - Jul 28, 2009
- Bucketful condoms in Olympic Village trigger probe (Olympic Diary) - Aug 09, 2012
- High-tech swim suits lead to amazing records in World Championships - Jul 28, 2009
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Phelps, Lochte showdown in 200m medley - Aug 02, 2012
- Indian swimmer Khade qualifies for 2012 Olympics - Jul 27, 2011
- Swimming sensation Franklin brings hope to Aurora - Aug 04, 2012
- UK's Olympic swimming team poses naked for underwater photo-shoot - Mar 04, 2011
- Delhi's Richa Mishra wins four golds in swimming (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- Indian swimmers win gold, not Olympic berth - Jul 06, 2011
- National Games: Swimmer Richa Mishra finishes with 16 medals - Feb 19, 2011
- List of American swimmers for London Games - Jul 03, 2012
Tags: beijing, breaststroke, bronze medal, female swimmer, history world, international debut, jessica hardy, jones 1, liesel jones, london olympics, male swimmers, olympic medal, olympic swimming, olympics, plymouth, rebecca, satomi, silver medallist, world record holder, xinhua