Olympics: Krishna Poonia qualifies; Mayookha, Om Prakash out (Lead)August 4th, 2012 - 1:58 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 4 (IANS) India’s top discus thrower Krishna Poonia qualified for the final round while triple jumper Mayookha Johny and men’s shot putter Om Prakash Singh were knocked out on the first day of the track and field events of the 2012 London Games here Friday.
Commonwealth Games gold medallist Poonia achieved the target of 63.54 metres in her second attempt at the Olympic Stadium. The qualification mark was set at 63 metres.
Johny crashed out of the Games, failing to qualify for the finals with a disappointing 13th place finish in Group B.
The Indian finished a dismal 22nd overall with a best effort of 13.77 metres, which she got in her first attempt. Things only got worse for her as she jumped 13.68 m in the second and 13.22 m in the third.
Olga Rypakova of Kazakhstan had the highest jump in the qualification round with a 14.79 m.
Mayookha earned a last-minute qualification for the Games after an impressive showing in a German competition.
In men’s shot put, Om Prakash Singh faltered in the qualification round and finished 10th in group B here Friday.
Om Prakash failed to make the finals and was ousted after he fouled in his third attempt to finish with a best of 19.86 m, which is below his national record of 20.69m he managed in the run-up to the Games in May.
The 25-year-old, who is participating in the Olympics for the first time, finished 19th overall.
In his first attempt, Om Prakash touched 19.40 m well behind American Reese Hoffa who led the qualifiers with an impressive 21.3 6m throw, while German David Storl took the second spot with 21.15 m.
- Triple jumper Mayookha out of Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Shot putter Om Prakash flops - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Vijay shines with silver, Saina's bronze hunt on (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Shooter Vijay Kumar wins silver for India (India Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Indian triple jumper Renjith crashes out - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympics: Vijay shoots silver as boxer Vikas exits (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Schedule of events involving Indian athletes Friday - Aug 03, 2012
- Mayookha, Om Prakash win bronze in Asian Athletics - Jul 09, 2011
- Olympics: Hopes pinned on boxers Mary Kom, Devendro (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- World Athletics: India's Mayookha finishes 9th in long jump - Aug 28, 2011
- Mayookha, Om Prakash win bronze in Asian Athletics (Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- Olympics: Triple jumpers fail, hockey team's pathetic show continues (India roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- India pinning hopes on Mayookha and Ram for Asian Grand Prix - May 19, 2011
- Olympic athletics: Kazakhstan's Rypakova leaps to triple jump gold - Aug 06, 2012
- I will be happy if athletes improve their records: Bahadur singh - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: 69m, best effort, commonwealth games gold, discus thrower, german david, gold medallist, India, kazakhstan, krishna, london games, olga rypakova, olympic stadium, olympics, om prakash, reese hoffa, target, third attempt, track and field, track and field events, triple jumper