Olympics judo: Cuba’s Ortiz wins goldAugust 4th, 2012 - 12:06 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 3 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Cuban judoka Idalys Ortiz won the gold in the women’s +78kg category at the Olympics here Friday.
Ortiz was awarded the victory over Mika Sugimoto from Japan by a unanimous judges’ decision after the golden score period remained scoreless.
It is the second Olympic medal for Ortiz, who won bronze at 2008 Beijing. Karina Bryant of Britain and China’s Tong Wen won Olympic bronze.
Bryant, 33, a four-time European champion, took her first Olympic medal by beating the Ukrainian Iryna Kindzerska by ippon in a close fight.
- Olympic judo: France's Riner wins gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Galstyan wins first gold for Russia in judo - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Del Potro takes bronze in men's singles - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympic gymnastics: China's Zou Kai retains gold - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympic judo: Kim scores revenge over Bischof for gold - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Sharapova in women's singles final - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic gymnastics: Romania's Izbasa vaults to gold - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympic gymnastics: Gold for Dong Dong in trampoline - Aug 04, 2012
- Chinese judokas set sight on heavyweight classes - Jul 09, 2012
- Olympic taekwondo: Tazegul scores gold for Turkey - Aug 10, 2012
- Gold for France's Decosse in women's 70 kg judo - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics archery: South Korea's Oh shoots gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic cycling: Germany take women's sprint gold after China demoted - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Gelana splashes to gold in marathon (Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics: Dutch cyclist Voss wins women's road race - Jul 29, 2012