Olympics: James on verge of 400m titleAugust 6th, 2012 - 3:14 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 6 (IANS/CMC) Grenadian Kirani James came one step closer to adding an Olympic gold medal to his World title when he clocked a season-best time to win his semi-final and surge into the final of the men’s 400 metres at the Olympic Games here.
The 19-year-old was timed at 44.59 as he easily brushed aside the field Sunday which included veteran Bahamian quarter-miler Chris Brown who was second in a season-best 44.67, to also qualify for Monday’s final, reports CMC.
James, who won his World title last year in Daegu, is favourite to take gold especially after defending Olympic champion and main threat LaShawn Merritt of the United States bowed out in the preliminary round with injury.
He enters the final with the second fastest time overall and will line up in lane five.
Meanwhile, Trinidadian Gordon Lalonde produced a sterling personal best effort to win the first semi-final and clinch a spot in the final as the fastest qualifier.
He crossed the line in 44.58 seconds, pulling with him Bahamian Demetrius Pinder who clocked 44.94 seconds.
Tabarie Henry of the US Virgin Islands won a season-best 45.19 but finished down the field and joined Bahamian Ramon Miller (45.11) and Jamaican Dane Hyatt (45.59) in missing out on the final.
- Bolt, Blake break meet records in Lausanne - Aug 24, 2012
- Bolt battles flu to win at Diamond League - Jul 09, 2011
- Blake, James win Zurich Diamond League - Sep 09, 2011
- James gets Olympic warm-up win, Fraser-Pryce loses - Jul 15, 2012
- Bolt cruises to 200m win but falls short of record - Jul 30, 2011
- Olympics: Bolt, Blake headline weekend track action - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Fraser-Pryce through to 200 semis, Walker falls - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympics: James storms to men's 400m gold (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- James' Olympics feat sparks massive celebrations in Grenada - Aug 07, 2012
- Jamaican trio wins but Fraser-Pryce beaten again - Aug 27, 2012
- Grenada celebrates maiden Olympic medal - Aug 08, 2012
- Bolt clocks season-best at Monaco Diamond League - Jul 23, 2011
- Olympics: Jamaica celebrates historic 200m one-two-three - Aug 10, 2012
- Blake warns Bolt with convincing 100m win - May 11, 2012
- Fraser-Pryce sends warning, Blake sizzles in New York - Jun 10, 2012
Tags: 19 year old, best effort, best time, chris brown, cmc, daegu, demetrius, dg, fastest time, grenadian, hyatt, lalonde, merritt, olympic champion, olympic games, olympic gold medal, olympics, s 400, us virgin islands, verge