Olympics: Isinbaeva wants family before considering Rio 2016August 7th, 2012 - 8:01 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 7 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Double Olympic champion Yelena Isinbaeva is to take a break from sport to have a child before she considers a comeback for the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics, the Russian pole vault queen said Tuesday.
Isinbaeva, 30, won the bronze medal at the London Olympics Monday, and took it as a signal she must shelve plans to retire.
However, the setter of 28 world records said she wants to start a family before entertaining the idea of competing again in the 2016 Rio Olympics.
“Four years,” Isinbaeva said pensively. “In any event I need to go on maternity leave, because they say it inspires.”
“The girls say that after you give birth to a child you want to get back to the grind right away, that it’s a pleasure to train,” she said.
Isinbaeva reveals little about her private life. In Beijing 2008, she was reported to be involved with a Ukrainian named Artem.
She jumped 4.70 metres to take third place in Monday’s final, which was won by America’s Jenn Suhr with 4.75.
Immediately after the competition, Isinbaeva said she may compete in the 2013 world championships on home soil in Moscow, but admitted she needed a break first.
Isinbaeva was speaking to reporters at the Bosco Club in London.
- Olympic pole vault: America's Jenn Suhr wins gold - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympics: Russian pole vault queen gets bronze - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic bronze tells me 'don't quit': Isinbaeva (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Isinbayeva eyes gold in 2016 Olympics - Aug 18, 2012
- Isinbayeva likely to retire after Olympics: Coach - Jul 21, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Isinbayeva confident ahead of pole vault final - Aug 04, 2012
- Isinbayeva '90 percent ready' for Olympics - Jun 30, 2012
- Olympics: Van Rijsselberge surfs to sailing Gold - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympics: Suhr soars over Isinbayeva, China still on top (World Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Phelps retiring at right time: Soviet gymnast Latynina - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic judo: France's Riner wins gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Schmitt wins women's 200m freestyle - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympic long jump : America's Reese wins women's gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic gymnastics: South Korea's Yang wins men's vault - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic rowing: New Zealand's Drysdale takes single sculls gold - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: beijing 2008, bosco, bronze medal, bs, home soil, jenn, london olympics, maternity, moscow, olympic champion, olympics, pleasure, pole vault, private life, ria novosti, rio de janeiro, suhr, ukrainian, world championships, yelena isinbaeva