Olympics: Indian contingent greeted with huge cheersJuly 28th, 2012 - 5:52 am ICT by IANS
London, July 28 (IANS) Huge cheers welcomed the colourful Indian delegation into the Olympic Park Friday night during the opening ceremony of the London Games.
The 81-strong Indian contingent, the biggest ever, was led by wrestler Sushil Kumar, a bronze medallist in the 2008 Beijing Games.
It was a smartly dressed Indian contingent. The men wore yellow safas, navy blue blazers, cream-coloured trousers, off-white shirts and ties, and the women were dressed in elegant sarees.
Indian Olympic Association (IOA) secretary-general Randhir Singh waved at the contingent from the VIP box.
Indians will take part in 13 disciplines. Four years ago, India won three medals, gold for shooter Abhinav Bindra and bronze medals for Sushil and boxer Vijender Singh.
- Sushil Kumar to be India's flag bearer at Olympics - Jul 15, 2012
- Sushil Kumar named India's flag-bearer at London Olympics (Lead) - Jul 15, 2012
- Deafening roar greets Indian contingent at CWG opener (Second Lead) - Oct 04, 2010
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012
- Bindra, Vijender part of Samsung Sports Ratna programme - Jun 29, 2010
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- We have to adapt to changing styles of wrestling: Sushil Kumar (Interview) - Apr 28, 2012
- We are getting better at Olympics: IOA - Aug 12, 2012
- Vijender gets 'Samsung Most Valued Performance Award' - Dec 23, 2010
- India's Beijing Olympic stars among six CWG brand ambassadors - Jul 27, 2010
- Boxers will better their Melbourne performance: Vijender - Aug 12, 2010
- Haryana Police to give Rs. 51 lakh to Yogeshwar Dutt - Aug 23, 2012
- The best Olympics for India (Review) - Aug 12, 2012
- IOA finally clears physio Patrick Kenny for Games - Jul 19, 2012
- Bindra to be the flag bearer, confusion over torch bearers names (Lead) - Oct 01, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,