Olympics: Indian boxer Jai Bhagwan starts campaign against AllisopJuly 28th, 2012 - 7:24 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 28 (IANS) Indian boxer Jai Bhagwan will begin his Olympic journey when he faces Andrique Allisop of Seychelles in the first round of the lightweight category (60 kg) at the Excel Arena here Sunday.
Bhagwan was the third Indian boxer to have qualified for the London Olympics at the 2011 World Championships, the first Olympic qualification tournament - a dream which was realised after two unsuccessful attempts and an eight-year-long wait.
After missing out on the 2004 Athens and 2008 Beijing Games, the two-time Asian Championships medallist and a bronze winner at the Delhi Commonwealth Games, is keen on making the most of this opportunity.
The field in the lightweight category is highly competitive and it would take nothing short of an exceptional performance from the 27-year-old Indian to make it into the medal rounds.
Vasyl Lomachenko of Ukraine is the favourite to win the gold medal and is arguably one of the most skilled and accomplished amateur boxers of recent times.
A two-time world champion (2009 and 2011) and a gold medal winner at the 2008 Beijing Olympics (Featherweight), Lomachenko is the favourite for the title this year again.
Cuba’s Yasnier Toledo Lopez - whom Lomachenko defeated at the 2011 Worlds - is seen as one of the biggest challengers to the Ukrainians bid for a second Olympic gold.
Then there are names like Domenico Valentino, Italy’s 2009 World Champion and 2011 World Cup bronze medal winner along with Kazak Gani Zhailauov also a 2011 World Cup bronze medal winner, Brazilian Robson Conceicao and Evaldas Petrauskas from Lithuania who all will add to the mix in the lightweight division.
- Olympic boxing: Lightweight Lomachenko wins gold for Ukraine - Aug 12, 2012
- Tricky draw for Indian boxers, Vikas gets a bye - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympics: Indian boxers Vijender, Jai Bhagwan shine (Second Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Sodhi, Bhagwan disappoint for India (Evening Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Vijender knocked out of World Boxing Championships - Oct 01, 2011
- World Boxing meet: Vikas lone Indian to reach semis - Oct 06, 2011
- Olympic boxing: Indian pugilist Jai Bhagwan boxed out - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Superb Saina first Indian shuttler in Olympics semis (India Roundup) - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics boxing: Jai Bhagwan marches into round of 16 (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- US claim basketball gold, Ugandan marathon (Overall World Roundup) - Aug 13, 2012
- Indian boxers look to make a mark at the grandest stage (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Jai Bhagwan, Vijender add lustre to India's campaign (Intro Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Jai Bhagwan stay on course as archers, shooters bow out (Overall Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Jai Bhagwan, Vijender add shine to India's campaign (Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- Shiva Thapa shines for India at Youth Olympics - Aug 22, 2010
Tags: 2008 beijing olympics, amateur boxers, asian championships, bronze medal winner, commonwealth games, conceicao, domenico valentino, featherweight, gani, gold medal winner, jai bhagwan, lightweight division, london olympics, long wait, medallist, olympic journey, olympic qualification tournament, petrauskas, time world champion, unsuccessful attempts