Olympics: India to protest AIBA’s decision on VikasAugust 4th, 2012 - 7:08 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 4 (IANS) Indian contingent at the London Olympics will protest the decision of the International Amateur Boxing Association (AIBA) to overturn the result of the men’s 69-kg bout between Vikas Krishan and American Errol Spence.
Hours after Vikas was declared the winner of the bout 13-11, the competition jury of AIBA ruled on an American protest Friday night that Vikas committed nine holding fouls in the third and last round alone and also that the Indian had intentionally spit out his mouth guard in the second round.
The mouthpiece incident, AIBA felt, invites a deduction of four points and that meant the 13-11 decision in Vikas’s favour went for a toss and the American was through to the quarter-finals.
“We are looking at the video recording of the bout. In our opinion, fouls were committed by the American opponent as well, he too should have been penalised,” Indian Chef-de-Mission P.K. Muralidharan Raja was quoted as saying by CNN-IBN.
“The matter is sub-judice, we are preparing our reply. We want to bring to the notice of the jury the fouls committed by the American fighter. The team manager will hand over the protest officially,” he said.
The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) too voiced its concerns and vice-president Tarlochan Singh dubbed the decision “wrong”.
- Vikas Krishan loses a bout he won five hours earlier (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- CAS rejects India's appeal on Vikas Krishan - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympics: Vijay shoots silver as boxer Vikas exits (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Superb Saina wins India's third medal at London Olympics (India Round-up) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Vikas Krishan enters 69 kg quarterfinal - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Saina wins India's third medal, Paes-Sania out (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics: Schedule of events involving Indian athletes Friday - Aug 03, 2012
- Vikas enters final of Olympic boxing test event, Dinesh claims bronze - Nov 27, 2011
- Mary Kom slams level of refereeing at London Olympics - Aug 14, 2012
- Indian boxers to compete in test event for London Olympics - Nov 22, 2011
- Olympics: Super Saina wins bronze, Manoj Kumar loses (Roundup) - Aug 05, 2012
- Sangwan loses controversial bout, India lodges complaint (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Ajit Pal named Chef-de-Mission for London Olympics - Apr 02, 2012
- World Boxing meet: Vikas lone Indian to reach semis - Oct 06, 2011
- President's Cup Boxing: Kanwar Preet enter semis, Vikas exits - May 04, 2012
Tags: amateur boxing association, american protest, chef de mission, cnn, cnn ibn, competition jury, fouls, four points, indian chef, indian olympic association, international amateur, ioa, krishan, london olympics, mouth guard, mouthpiece, muralidharan, quarter finals, video recording, vikas