Olympics: I was hungry for this medal, says YogeshwarAugust 12th, 2012 - 2:49 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 12 (IANS) Olympic bronze medallist Yogeshwar Dutt said Sunday that he was desperate to win an Olympic medal after a disappointing Beijing Games.
Yogeshwar Saturday won the bronze in men’s 60 kg freestyle wrestling.
“I’m happy to have completed my dream. This is what I have always wanted and I was hungry for this medal,” he told reporters here.
“I could not achieve anything in the last two Olympics. I lost out in the quarterfinals in Beijing. This time I had to do it and I am glad I did,” said an elated Yogeshwar, who brought India its fifth medal at the London Games.
This is the bigest ever Olympic medal haul for India.
“I want to thank my family and people who gave me their blessings. I also want to thank god without whom this would not have been possible.”
The 29-year-old had been plagued by injuries but overcame them to win the country its third ever wrestling medal since K.D. Jadhav and Sushil Kumar won bronze in Helsinki (1952) and Beijing (2008) respectively.
“After 2008, I thought of preparing for the London Games. I had many injuries. In this sport injuries are a part of the game.
“I concentrated on the idea of winning and not on injuries, and this medal is a result of it.”
- After dream medal, marriage on cards for Yogeshwar (Lead, Combining London/Chandigarh stories) - Aug 12, 2012
- We are getting better at Olympics: IOA - Aug 12, 2012
- Sports Minister hails bronze medallist Yogeshwar - Aug 12, 2012
- Indian wrestling has a bright future: Sports minister - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Yogeshwar wins bronze, fifth Olympic medal fo India (Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Would have loved to hear national anthem: Sushil - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: All eyes on Sushil after Yogeshwar's bronze (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Sushil secures silver on concluding day (India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Sushil first to win back-to-back medals (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- For Yogeshwar, London was 'now or never' - Aug 12, 2012
- Could have won gold from other draw: Yogeshwar Dutt - Aug 15, 2012
- Olympics: Wrestler Yogeshwar gets India bronze after hockey embarrassment (India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- The best Olympics for India (Review) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar in repechage (Second Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Indian wrestlers Yogeshwar, Amit book London berth, Sushil fails (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
Tags: beijing 2008, blessings, bronze medallist, game, god, helsinki 1952, India, jadhav, kg, london games, medal haul, medal since, olympic bronze, olympic medal, olympics, quarterfinals, sport injuries, sushil kumar, yogeshwar