Olympics: Greece leads players’ parade in opening ceremonyJuly 28th, 2012 - 4:33 am ICT by IANS
London, July 28 (IANS) Greece, the traditional hosts of the Olympics, led the 204 nations and their athletes into the Olympic Stadium in the opening ceremony here Friday.
Taekwondo fighter Alexandros Nikolaidis led Greece’s parade. Nikolaidis is hoping to improve on his silver medal finish in the Beijing Games, reports Xinhua.
The Greek delegation is without triple jumper Voula Papachristou, who was kicked out of the Olympics Wednesday for her Twitter comments mocking African immigrants.
- Swiss Olympian kicked off team after sending racist tweet - Aug 01, 2012
- Twitter can be dangerous for your Olympics wellbeing! (Olympics Diary) - Aug 01, 2012
- Murray's pups proudly display their master's medals (Olympics Diary) - Aug 08, 2012
- Latam nations aim for more medals at London Olympics - Jul 28, 2012
- Swiss footballer expelled from Olympics for racism - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympics: Italian wins taekwondo gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Athens and two modern Olympic Games - Jul 18, 2012
- Olympics: Bolt retains sprint titles, US overtakes China in medal tally (Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic taekwondo: South Korea, Argentina win golds - Aug 11, 2012
- Huge welcome in Colombia for Olympic medallists - Aug 16, 2012
- Olympics: Hopes pinned on boxers Mary Kom, Devendro (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympics: Colombian president hails first gold - Aug 11, 2012
- Britain's taekwondo athlete Stevenson takes Olympic oath - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympic gold medallists' encore at Hungarian athletics meet - Aug 21, 2012
- Afghan girls inspired by Kohistani going to Olympics - Aug 15, 2012
Tags: african immigrants, alexandros nikolaidis, beijing, delegation, games, hosts, london, olympic stadium, olympics, olympics greece, opening ceremony, silver medal, taekwondo fighter, triple jumper, xinhua