Olympics: Gilbert eyes medal to end disappointing seasonJuly 27th, 2012 - 6:17 am ICT by IANS
London, July 27 (IANS) Belgian cyclist Philippe Gilbert aims to win a medal in the men’s cycling road race at the 2012 London Olympics to end his disappointing season.
“My season so far hasn’t been great, I must admit it. A medal could help forget all the disappointment,” Gilbert was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
For Gilbert, illness, injuries and problems adapting to his new team have conspired to make it a year hard to forget.
“I’m not the same rider as at the start of the classics season. I’m kind of back to last year’s level. I didn’t have great results, but my condition was good,” he said.
According to Gilbert, the biggest challenge for his team might come from Great Britain’s Mark Cavendish should the race turn into a bunch sprint.
“I think if we attack in the final part we lose. We must make the race quite nervous, or at least try to make it nervous. (With) just five people we can’t control the race. Let’s hope that the other teams like Spain or Italy can make things hard,” he said.
Gilbert will ride in Saturday’s race as a member of the star-studded five-man team alongside with Greg Van Avermaet, Jurgen Roelandts, Stijn Vandenbergh and Tom Boonen.
“I talked with Tom (Boonen). Everybody has his own ambitions, of course, but we understand that the team is more important. It would be a catastrophe if we don’t race together,” he said.
The men’s road race will take place July 28 and cover 250 km, the longest route in Olympic history.
- Kazakhstan's Vinokourov wins gold in Olympic road race - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympics: Dutch cyclist Voss wins women's road race - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Bolt, Blake headline weekend track action - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic medal next target: Sania - Jun 08, 2012
- Olympics: Kromowidjojo blazes to 100m freestyle gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic cycling champion Sanchez crashes out of Tour, Olympics - Jul 08, 2012
- Olympics archery: No excuse to offer, say coaches - Aug 05, 2012
- Medals symbolise sporting glory of athletes (Olympic diary) - Jul 31, 2012
- Chinese juggernaut rolls on at Olympics (World Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- I had a tough time in 51kg: Mary Kom - Aug 14, 2012
- Second stage of Tour de France gets underway - Jul 05, 2009
- Latest craze at the Games: Therapeutic tape (Olympic diary) - Aug 05, 2012
- Mary Kom slams level of refereeing at London Olympics - Aug 14, 2012
- Being world No.1 is added pressure for Olympics: Deepika - Jul 14, 2012
- Olympic marathon: World record holder Paula Radcliffe quits - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: 2012 london olympics, ambitions, catastrophe, cavendish, disappointment, great britain, italy, jurgen, man team, olympic history, olympics, philippe gilbert, spain, sprint, stijn, tom boonen, vandenbergh, xinhua