Olympics: German eight hold off Britain for rowing goldAugust 1st, 2012 - 7:44 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 1 (IANS/RIA Novosti) German rowers held off a spirited challenge from Britain to take the Olympic gold in a thrilling men’s eight final Wednesday.
Germany, unbeaten since 2008, went out fast but were overtaken by the British team half way, only to step up a gear in the last 500 metres and cross the line first in five minutes, 48.75 seconds.
“I can’t believe that,” said German oarsman Filip Adamski. “Four years we wait and now it’s happened, I can’t imagine what this means.”
Adamski said his team had to react to a strong headwind that hampered progress.
“Very, very tough - the wind - the whole season we have had tailwinds and now the opposite,” the Polish-born athlete said.
“It was a new situation for us. We have a tactic, a strategy, every time the same and now we had to change that. We had to react to this situation.”
Britain, the silver medallists in Beijing, were beaten to the silver after a late charge from defending champions Canada, who were over a second back.
The British were 1.2 seconds further adrift, the bronze coming as a crushing blow to some of the crew.
“We came here to win. I never thought I would say that I wouldn’t be happy with an Olympic medal, but I’m not,” said James Foad.
- Olympic rowing: Germans row to quadruple sculls gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic rowing: New Zealand's Drysdale takes single sculls gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Danes snatch rowing gold from Britain - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic rowing: South Africa takes gold in coxless fours - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympic rowing: Britain storms to women's sculls gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: German duo stroke to canoe gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympics: Britain's Brownlee slogs to triathlon gold - Aug 07, 2012
- Wiggins wins time trial to become Britain's top Olympian - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Franklin sinks world record to clinch 200m backstroke gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic swimming: Clary shocks Lochte for 200m backstroke gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Russia storms to canoe sprint double gold - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics: Van Rijsselberge surfs to sailing Gold - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic swimming: Jiao wins 200m butterfly for China - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Canoe sprint gold for New Zealand's Carrington - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics: Australia paddle to kayak four gold - Aug 09, 2012
Tags: adamski, athlete, beijing, bs, crushing blow, filip, five minutes, foad, headwind, new situation, oarsman, olympic gold, olympic medal, olympics, ria novosti, rowers, silver medallists, spirited challenge, tactic, what this means