Olympics: Geeta to wrestle in repechage; Devendro, Sahana out (India Roundup)August 10th, 2012 - 12:05 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 9 (IANS) India’s Geeta Phogat lost her opening wrestling bout, while woman high jumper Sahana Kumari’s plunge was short of taking her to the final in the London Olympics here Thursday.
Late Wednesday night, boxer Laishram Devendro Singh bowed out from the men’s quarter-final stage after a brave fight, ending India’s campaign in the competition at the Excel Arena.
Geeta, 23, was defeated 1-3 by Tonya Lynn Verbeek of Canada in the opening round of the Olympic women’s 55kg wrestling event.
The Haryana girl, who won the country’s first ever gold medal in women’s wrestling in the 55kg category at the 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games, fought evenly with her opponent in the first two rounds. When the second round got over, both westlers were on one point each.
However, Verbeek, a two-time Olympic medallist, went on the offensive in the final round to advance to the quarter-finals, while Phogat will now battle it our in the repechage. Tonya, 34, was a silver medallist in Athens Olympics and bronze medal winner at the Beijing Games.
Geeta’s bronze medal chances brightened after Tonya won her quarter-final and semi-final bouts to reach the final, where she will be up against Japanese Saori Yoshida. Geeta will face Ukraine’s Tetyana Lazareva in the first repechage round.
In boxing, Devendro narrowly missed out on a medal, going down to Irishman Paddy Barnes in the quarter-finals of the men’s 49kg category.
His 18-23 loss to the Beijing Games bronze medallist ended India’s boxing campaign in the mega event. While woman boxer Mary Kom got a bronze, none of her male counterparts could finish in the medal bracket.
In track and field, 30-year-old Sahana quite easily cleared her first jump of 1.80 metres but had three failed attempts at 1.85m that put an end to her campaign.
Sahana, who holds the national record with a lunge of 1.92m, could only manage the 15th place in group B.
Svetlana Radzivil of Uzbekistan was the lone jumper to get automatic qualification by clearing the 1.96m mark. Later in the day, Tintu Luka would be seen in action in the Women’s 800 metres semi-final.
- Olympics: Wrestler Geeta, high jumper Sahana out (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Geeta in repechage (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympics: Geeta Phogat out of wrestling (Second Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympics: Tintu Luka finishes sixth in 800m semis (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Geeta Phogat loses opening fight - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Indian wrestlers Amit Kumar, Narsingh Yadav out (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar in repechage (Second Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Yogeshwar Dutt leads Indian challenge (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar in second repechage (Third Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar a win away from bronze (Fourth Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics wrestling: India's Yogeshwar inches closer to bronze medal (Fifth Lead, correcting Intro) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: All eyes on Sushil after Yogeshwar's bronze (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Irishman ends Devendro's dream run (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympics: Hopes pinned on boxers Mary Kom, Devendro (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom secures historic bronze (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
Tags: athens olympics, brave fight, bronze medal winner, bronze medallist, commonwealth games, first jump, high jumper, japanese saori, lazareva, london olympics, male counterparts, olympic medallist, olympic women, repechage, sahana, saori yoshida, silver medallist, verbeek, westlers, woman boxer