Olympics: Fraser-Pryce upbeat ahead of 100-m semisAugust 4th, 2012 - 4:35 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 4 (IANS/CMC) Reigning Olympic champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce says she is very confident moving into the semifinals of the women’s 100 metres here Saturday.
The 25-year-old will line up in the second semifinal against the likes of Trinidadian Kelly-Ann Baptiste and Bahamian Sheniqua Ferguson, both of whom safely came through the first round of qualifying Friday, CMC reports.
Fraser-Pryce clocked 11 seconds flat following a tentative start, to record one of the slower times but said she was unfazed by this.
“It’s never the plan to be tentative,” she told reporters.
“The plan is to always start properly and execute a good race. I am now looking forward to the semi finals.”
Fraser-Pryce watched as American Carmelita Jeter ran 10.83, the fastest time of the day while Jamaican Veronica Campbell-Brown clocked 10.94 and Baptiste, 10.96.
Despite failing to join her Caribbean in dipping below, she remained philosophical ahead of the penultimate round of competition.
“My confidence is not in man, it’s in God and so I look forward to the semi-finals with that in mind, absent of fear. It all comes down to who wants it most,” Fraser-Pryce noted.
She will also be up against American Allyson Felix who clocked 11.01 in winning heat five.
In the first semi-final, Campbell-Brown will do battle with Jeter and Trinidadian Semoy Hackett while the third event will bring together Jamaican Kerron Stewart, Trinidadian Michelle-Lee Ahye and impressive Nigerian Blessing Okagbare.
- Olympics: Pryce retains 100m crown to make history (Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics athletics: Fraser-Pryce wins women's 100m gold - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics: US takes on the Caribbean in women's 200m final - Aug 08, 2012
- Bolt, Blake break meet records in Lausanne - Aug 24, 2012
- Fraser-Pryce sends warning, Blake sizzles in New York - Jun 10, 2012
- Olympics: Fraser-Pryce through to 200 semis, Walker falls - Aug 07, 2012
- James gets Olympic warm-up win, Fraser-Pryce loses - Jul 15, 2012
- Olympics: Francis tips Fraser-Pryce for sprint double - Aug 06, 2012
- Jamaican sprinter appeals for help for junior athletes - Sep 10, 2012
- Bolt battles flu to win at Diamond League - Jul 09, 2011
- Bolt to lead Jamaican charge at World Championships - Aug 17, 2011
- Jamaican trio wins but Fraser-Pryce beaten again - Aug 27, 2012
- Campbell-Brown eyes Rio 2016 despite London disappointment - Aug 14, 2012
- Olympics: Veronica says it will be tough to retain 200m crown - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Felix wins 200m gold - Aug 09, 2012
Tags: allyson felix, ann fraser, campbell brown, caribbean, carmelita jeter, confidence, fastest time, ferguson, hackett, kelly ann baptiste, michelle lee, olympic champion, olympics, pryce, semi finals, semis, shelly ann, time of the day, upbeat, veronica campbell