Olympics: Fraser-Pryce through to 200 semis, Walker fallsAugust 7th, 2012 - 3:40 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 7 (IANS/CMC) The Caribbean will be heavily represented in the women’s 200 metres semi-finals Tuesday as all but one of their sprinters booked semi-final spots at the London Olympics.
Defending champion Veronica Campbell Brown of Jamaica and newly crowned 100 metres champion Shelly-Ann Fraser Pryce both advanced to the next round but there was no such luck for veteran Bahamian Debbie Ferguson-McKenzie, CMC reports.
There was also major disappointment for the Caribbean in the men’s 400 metres hurdles where Trinidad and Tobago’s Jehue Gordon and Jamaica’s Leford Green finished down the field in the final.
Gordon finished sixth in 48.86 seconds while Green could only manage seventh in 49.12, in the event won by Dominican Republic’s Felix Sanchez in as season-best 47.63.
Campbell-Brown will have plenty work to do if she is to defend her title as he looked out of her class after entering the straight in third, a position she held onto across the line in 22.75, as Ukraine’s Mariya Ryemyen took victory in a personal-best 22.58 with Frenchwoman Myriam Soumare finishing second in 22.70.
Fraser-Pryce, however, had things very easy in heat seven as she was able to shut down from 60 metres out to cross the line in 22.71. She won ahead of Bahamian World Junior sprint double champion Anthonique Strachan (22.75).
Semoy Hackett of Trinidad and Tobago (22.81) and Grenada’s Janelle Redhead (23.08) did enough for second and third respectively in heat two, behind American Allyson Felix (22.71), the one to beat.
Like in the 100m, Ferguson-McKenzie again struggled to seventh in the same heat in 23.49, to miss out on a spot.
In heat three, Jamaica’s Sherone Simpson did enough after a slow first half, to book her semi-final spot with a clocking of 22.97 seconds.
Carmelita Jeter of the United States looked in great shape in taking the heat in 22.65 seconds.
Meanwhile, LaVerne Jones-Ferrette of the US. Virgin Islands (22.64) who finished second, and Trinidad and Tobago’s Kai Selvon (22.85) who was fourth, advanced from heat four, which was won by 400m champion American Sanya Richards-Ross in 22.48.
The region had little luck in the women’s 400m hurdles semi-finals as only Jamaican Kaliese Spencer (54.20), who finished second in her race behind American Lashinda Demus (54.08), qualified.
There was no such luck for dethroned champion Melaine Walker, who from the first round never looked enterprising and it was no surprise when she bowed out, finishing sixth in 55.74 seconds in the third semi-final.
Muizat Ajoke Odumosu of Nigeria took victory in a national record 54.40.
Nickiesha Wilson, the third Jamaican in the semi-finals, bowed out when she finished fifth in the opening semi-finals in 55.77.
“I can’t tell what happened, I just feel I had a bad day,” Walker told journalists.
“There are plenty more finals to be made, so I don’t think it’s a big deal. Only thing left for me to do is to break the world record and that can be done any day.”
- Olympics: US takes on the Caribbean in women's 200m final - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympics: Pryce retains 100m crown to make history (Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics: Fraser-Pryce upbeat ahead of 100-m semis - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics athletics: Bolt, Blake headlines semi-finalists for 100m - Aug 05, 2012
- Bolt's peerless victory in Zagreb 100 metres - Sep 14, 2011
- Jamaican sprinter appeals for help for junior athletes - Sep 10, 2012
- James gets Olympic warm-up win, Fraser-Pryce loses - Jul 15, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Isenbayeva misses hat-trick; second gold for Sanchez after eight (Athletics Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Jamaica, T&T; in hunt for relay glory - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics athletics: Fraser-Pryce wins women's 100m gold - Aug 05, 2012
- Jamaican trio wins but Fraser-Pryce beaten again - Aug 27, 2012
- Bolt in 200m semis at Olympic trials - Jul 01, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Felix wins 200m gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Powell edged out but Walker posts world-leading time - May 12, 2012
- Olympics: James on verge of 400m title - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: 100 metres champion, allyson felix, ann fraser, campbell brown, debbie ferguson, defending champion, double champion, felix sanchez, ferrette, great shape, jehue, leford, london olympics, s felix, shelly ann, sherone simpson, taking the heat, trinidad and tobago, veronica campbell, walker falls