Olympics: Former world champ Kim Collins pulls out of sprintAugust 4th, 2012 - 7:42 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 4 (IANS) Former world champion 100 metres runner Kim Collins has said he will not run in the Olympics after a fallout with his national Olympic committee.
Reports in local media said that Collins had fallen out with the St. Kitts and Nevis National Olympic Committee after meeting his wife in a hotel.
“Won’t be running later tonight,” Collins, who is from St. Kitts and Nevis, said on Twitter.
“For those who saw me run in Mexico. That’s the last time I represent my country.”
“Even men in prison get their wives to visit,” he said on the micro-blogging website, with the other messages posted before and afterwards expressing bitterness at unnamed officials.
The St. Kitts-Nevis Times reported that Collins wrote on Facebook: “Hours before my 5th 100m olympic race, i now find out i cant run, all because i was in a hotel with my wife/coach. S.K.N.O.C REALLY? Are you freakig kiddin me!!!!!!!!”"
Collins, 36, won the world title in 2003 and ran in the 2008 Olympic final won by Usain Bolt, finishing sixth.
He came out of retirement two years ago, winning silver at last year’s Pan-American Games in Mexico, and would have been competing in his fifth Olympics.
Collins was St. Kitts and Nevis’ flag-bearer at the Opening Ceremony.
- St. Kitts sprinter Williams sent home after testing positive - Jul 29, 2012
- Sluggish Bolt wins as sharp Blake also triumphs - Sep 08, 2012
- Bolt wins but disappointed by time - May 26, 2012
- Coach key to my success, says Bolt - Sep 13, 2012
- Olympics athletics: Bolt, Blake headlines semi-finalists for 100m - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Bolt, Brathwaite anxiously eyeing semis - Aug 08, 2012
- Bolt's peerless victory in Zagreb 100 metres - Sep 14, 2011
- Clarke wins 100m gold at Pan American Games - Oct 26, 2011
- Olympics: Blake downplays experience factor in 100m contest - Aug 02, 2012
- World atheletics: Jamaican quartet claim 4x100 relay record - Sep 05, 2011
- 'Madam Speedy' looking for Olympic glory - Jul 12, 2012
- Fit-again Bolt admits to past back injury - Jul 27, 2012
- Bolt confirmed for Weltklasse Zurich - May 17, 2012
- Bolt to take part in Bislett Games in June - Jan 12, 2012
- I thought I'd got away, says dope-tainted cyclist - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: bitterness, bolt, committee reports, fallout, fifth olympics, flag bearer, kim collins, kitts and nevis, local media, national olympic committee, olympic race, opening ceremony, pan american games, ria novosti, sprint, st kitts and nevis, st kitts nevis, twitter, world champ, world champion