Olympics: Federer eyes medals in both singles and doublesJuly 29th, 2012 - 7:35 am ICT by IANS
London, July 29 (IANS) Switzerland’s Roger Federer has his eyes on medals from both singles and doubles after his stuttering victory in the men’s singles first round against Alejandro Falla of Columbia at the London Olympics.
The Swiss star, who won a gold medal in the men’s doubles with his teammate Stanislas Wawrinka in Beijing four years ago, had to overcome a second set slump to defeat Falla 6-3, 5-7, 6-3 in almost two hours, Xinhua reported.
“I was part of the Olympics in the Sydney Games. It’s been 12 years ago now, and that definitely lit the fire for me inside of myself, hopefully doing really well at the Olympics,” Federer said.
“I’ve always had decent Olympics, except maybe Athens. But I always learn something in life, I think, every time I attended the Olympic Games, I would love to get a medal here this time in singles and in doubles again.”
Federer won his seventh title at Wimbledon earlier this month, and came back just 20 days after the historic victory for the Olympics, which clearly gave him a different taste.
“There’s many differences. To sum it up, it’s a different atmosphere out there. You walk on court, there’s music. That’s not something that’s ever happened here at Wimbledon, Things are clearly a big change from a few weeks ago. They’ve rented out this site to the Olympic Committee, and they’ve done it the way they do their games.”
- Federer expects Olympics to be something special - Jul 23, 2012
- Federer says Olympics tougher than a Grand Slam - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympics: Federer acknowledges he's favourite - Jul 27, 2012
- Hingis at peace with Olympic decision - Aug 01, 2012
- Murray handed tricky Olympics first-round match - Jul 26, 2012
- Federer, Azarenka top seeds at London Olympics - Jul 24, 2012
- Wawrinka survives Goffin scare - Jan 07, 2011
- It's for AITA to decide Olympics line-up: Bhupathi - Feb 09, 2012
- Federer crushes Wawrinka, enters Oz Open semi-final for eighth time - Jan 25, 2011
- Indians knocked out of Chennai Open singles (Roundup) - Jan 05, 2011
- Olympic tennis: Federer content with silver medal - Aug 06, 2012
- Wimbledon king Federer flirts with first round disaster - Jun 21, 2010
- Somdev gets direct entry in Chennai Open - Nov 25, 2010
- China's tennis team faces uphill task at London Olympics - Jul 09, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Djokovic, Tsonga survive scare - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: alejandro falla, athens, atmosphere, beijing, columbia, gold medal, london olympics, medals, olympic committee, olympic games, olympics, roger federer, slump, stanislas wawrinka, swiss star, sydney games, teammate, victory, wimbledon, xinhua