Olympics: Federer acknowledges he’s favouriteJuly 27th, 2012 - 7:33 am ICT by IANS
London, July 27 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Wimbledon champion and world No.1 Roger Federer has acknowledged he is the favourite for Olympic gold.
For all Federer’s 17 Grand Slam titles, an Olympic singles medal has eluded him, although he won gold in the men’s doubles in 2008.
Federer took back the top spot from Novak Djokovic last month after winning Wimbledon, where the Olympic tennis will be played.
Asked if he considers himself the top candidate for gold ahead of local hero Andy Murray and Djokovic, the top seed answered affirmatively.
“I played great at Wimbledon, I was able to beat Novak, does that make me the favorite? Maybe. I’m the world No. 1, so if you put all these things on the table it could be the case,” he said.
Federer said he was not completely concentrating on his own performance.
“To be quite honest, my focus is a little bit on them now, but only for as long as I’m in the tournament. I hope to still be standing so I can face them,” Federer said of Murray and Djokovic.
Arch-rival Rafael Nadal pulled out of the competition due to a lack of preparation caused by knee injury.
But Federer, drawn against Colombia’s Alejandro Falla in round one, is wary of the early stages, where the shortened best-of-three match format narrows the margins considerably.
As the 30-year-old star noted, had he played best-of-three at Wimbledon a month ago, he would have been ousted in round three by Julien Benneteau.
“That is the danger of the early rounds,” he said.
- Olympics: Djokovic says Federer is favourite for gold - Jul 27, 2012
- Murray handed tricky Olympics first-round match - Jul 26, 2012
- Federer survives scare at Olympics - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Federer moves into third round - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Murray takes gold for Britain at Wimbledon - Aug 05, 2012
- Murray storms into US Open final - Sep 09, 2012
- Wimbledon: Murray to face Davydenko in first round - Jun 22, 2012
- Roddick to take on Djokovic at Olympics - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Federer plays Murray in repeat of Wimbledon final (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Murray to join Federer in Olympic final - Aug 04, 2012
- US Open: Federer, Murray drawn to meet in semis - Aug 24, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Britain's Murray reaches semis - Aug 02, 2012
- Hingis at peace with Olympic decision - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Federer beats del Potro in epic semifinal - Aug 04, 2012
- Grass my worst surface: Davydenko - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: alejandro falla, andy murray, arch rival, grand slam titles, julien benneteau, knee injury, little bit, local hero, margins, match, novak djokovic, old star, olympic gold, olympic tennis, olympics, rafael nadal, ria novosti, roger federer, wimbledon, wimbledon champion