Olympics: Chinese paddler Zhang says first match crucialJuly 27th, 2012 - 3:34 am ICT by IANS
London, July 27 (IANS) Olympic table tennis top seed Zhang Jike is fully focusing on preparations for his first match, which he said is “very crucial” to his quest for a gold.
The Chinese favourite faces a likely fourth-round encounter against Vladimir Samsonov of Belarus, a player who has been in and around the world top 10 for over a decade, Xinhua reported.
But Zhang said Vladimir is not his concern for the time being.
“Vladimir is one of the top players in Europe. Competition against him will be very tough. But now, I’m focusing on my first match. I’ll prepare for the match against him after that,” he said.
Zhang would meet Vladimir July 30 if both win their respective third-round matches.
The Olympic table tennis competition starts July 28. As players ranked top 16 in singles will qualify directly to the third round, it may be dangerous for high seeds like Zhang as they will have to hit form soon against their opponents who has already survived a couple of games.
Michael Maze of Denmark, Dimitrij Ovtcharov of Germany and Jun Mizutani of Japan also line up in the top half of the singles draw, which was made at ExCeL Wednesday.
Zhang said many people thought that the competition in the top half will be tougher as the players in his half are all very strong. But he believed the top 16 seeds all have a shot at the medals.
“Preparations before competitions are very important. The Olympics are actually a competition of attitude and preparations,” he said.
A right handed dynamic attacker, 24-year Zhang is the reigning World Champion and World Cup Champion in 2011. If he wins the gold medal in London, he would become the player who achieve a “Gram Slam” of major titles within the shortest time.
- Olympics: Chinese won't have it easy at London - Jul 26, 2012
- Top seed Zhang Jike advances to table tennis final - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympic table tennis: China's Zhang Jike wins gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic table tennis: China secures another gold - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympic table tennis: China forces into the men's team final - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic table tennis: China wins men's team gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympics: Germany beat Hong Kong for table tennis bronze - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic table tennis: Gold for Chinese men's team - Aug 09, 2012
- China reign supreme at World TT - Apr 02, 2012
- China usual favourites at World TT Championships - Mar 23, 2012
- Olympics: Federer acknowledges he's favourite - Jul 27, 2012
- China harvests in 'backyard' sports but challenges loom ahead of Olympics - Dec 27, 2011
- Expect charming athletes at London Olympics: Chinese daily - Jul 27, 2012
- Asian TT: Sharath-Saha stun China's second seeds, enter pre-quarters - Feb 27, 2012
- China wary of Germany in table tennis - Mar 27, 2012
Tags: attacker, competitions, dimitrij ovtcharov, gold medal, high seeds, jike, match, medals, michael maze, mizutani, olympic table tennis, olympics, opponents, paddler, slam, table tennis competition, vladimir samsonov, world champion, world cup champion, xinhua