Olympics: China’s Lei Sheng wins foil goldAugust 1st, 2012 - 6:18 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 1 (IANS) Chinese fencer Lei Sheng beat Alaaeldin Abouelkassem of Egypt 15-13 to win the men’s foil gold Tuesday.
The 28-year-old Chinese, who beat top seed Valerio Aspromonte and Andrea Baldini, both favourites from Italy, in his way to the final, fought back a late surge from Abouelkassem, and won the last four points to snatch the first gold medal for the Chinese men’s foil, Xinhua reported.
“I was surprised by my own performance,” the emotion-overwhelmed Chinese fencer said.
“Before the Olympic competition started, I did not think about winning the gold, just to fence the match one by one. But I was very confident of myself,” he said.
He said his confidence did not falter when falling behind 11-9, knowing he still had the chance to win.
“It did not disturb me, I told myself at that moment that so long as the match is not over, I have the chance,” he said.
- Doping victim pursues Olympic gold for vindication - Jul 20, 2012
- Italian Olympic debutants could spoil Vezzali's London party - Jul 20, 2012
- Qualifier Ankita Das storms into quarters of World Junior TT - Nov 19, 2011
- Venezuela's Limardo wins Olympic epee gold - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Italy wins women's team foil gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Russia's fencing coach resigns over meagre medal haul - Aug 05, 2012
- Chinese juggernaut rolls on at Olympics (World Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic fencing: South Korea's Kim earns sabre gold - Aug 02, 2012
- Saina aims for greater feats after Olympic bronze (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics will be tough, says Saina Nehwal - Jun 19, 2012
- Saina aims for gold in Rio - Aug 07, 2012
- Asian Games volleyball: Indian men upset Japan, women down Maldives - Nov 19, 2010
- Olympic fencing: Epee gold for Ukraine's Shemyakina - Jul 31, 2012
- Inter-Institutional TT: Double delight for Ghosh, Ghatak - Aug 27, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,