Olympics: Carl Lewis expects ’surprise’ in men’s 100m eventAugust 1st, 2012 - 6:31 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 1 (IANS) American track and field legend Carl Lewis expects close competition in the men’s 100 metres event in the London Olympics.
“I never do prediction on races. But I think the big issue is that there is going to be a surprise possibly,” Lewis was quoted as saying by Xinhua Tuesday.
“I am really excited about the American team because they are no longer the fastest team in the world. But I think we are. We will probably get more gold medals in the sprint and hurdles events and more medals than any other teams,” said the 51-year-old American who won 10 Olympic medals including 9 gold, and 10 World Championships medals, including 8 gold.
Lewis played down the chance of a new men’s 100m world record in London.
“I will not even think about the world record. I think the Olympics is about performance. I always say records are borrowed and the medals owned. So you come here focusing only on the medal,” said Lewis.
- Olympics: Suhr soars over Isinbayeva, China still on top (World Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Carl Lewis doubts Bolt's Olympics 100m title defence - Jul 15, 2012
- Olympics: Bolt retains sprint titles, US overtakes China in medal tally (Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Isenbayeva misses hat-trick; second gold for Sanchez after eight (Athletics Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympics: Blake downplays experience factor in 100m contest - Aug 02, 2012
- Pound's drug remark about Jamaican athletes rubbished - Aug 15, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic medallist Carl Lewis in race for New Jersey Senate - Apr 13, 2011
- Phelps books 200m fly Olympic berth - Jun 29, 2012
- Olympics: Jamaica win relay in new WR (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Bolt, Blake headline weekend track action - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Foster-Hylton ends sterling career after hurdle mishap - Aug 08, 2012
- Forget winning 200m title, Bolt tells Blake - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Bolt warns Blake off 200m gold - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympics: Bolt admits to pressure ahead of 100m conquest - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: 10 olympic medals, 100m world record, carl lewis, gold medals, hurdles, london olympics, new men, olympics, sprint, surprise, track and field, who won 10 olympic medals, world championships, xinhua