Olympics: Britain handed tough draw in men’s water poloMay 7th, 2012 - 8:02 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 7 (IANS) Hosts Great Britain have been handed out a tough draw in the men’s water polo event for the 2012 London Olympics.
Britain have been clubbed with Olympic champions Hungary, Beijing Games silver medallist US and bronze medallist Serbia in Group B. The other teams in the group are Montenegro and Romania.
Greece, Italy, Kazakhstan, Spain, Australia and Croatia are in Group A. The four highest-ranked teams in each group will qualify for the quarter final round.
In the women’s competition, Britain have been clubbed in Group B with Beijing Games bronze medallist Australia, Italy and Russia. Australia were also crowned winners of the Visa Water Polo International tournament at the Water Polo Arena this weekend, part of the final group of London Prepares Series test events to take place in the Olympic Park.
This summer, the men’s tournament will feature 12 teams while the women’s will feature eight. The competition takes place at the Water Polo Arena in the Olympic Park from July 29 to August 12.
The draw was held at the world body FINA headquarters in Lausanne, Sunday. The draw was attended and conducted by the FINA executive body.
London 2012 Organising Committee Director of Sport Debbie Jevans said the Water Polo Arena was ready for the Olympics.
“This week we’ve tested our brand new water polo arena with thousands of fans cheering on some of the world’s best players. We will now be fine tuning our preparations and working closely with FINA to get ready to stage spectacular matches this summer,” Debbie said.
All places in the women’s competition were confirmed in the World Olympic Games Qualification Tournament in Italy in April, while the men’s participants were finalised in the same tournament in Canada earlier in the month.
Group A: Greece, Italy, Kazakhstan, Spain, Australia, Croatia
Group B: Hungary, Montenegro, Romania, Great Britain, USA, Serbia
Group A: Hungary, Spain, China, USA,
Group B: Italy , Great Britain, Russia, Australia
- US claim basketball gold, Ugandan marathon (Overall World Roundup) - Aug 13, 2012
- World Boxing meet: 72 boxers qualify for London Olympics - Oct 07, 2011
- Final medal table at 2012 London Olympic Games - Aug 13, 2012
- Olympic water polo referees dropped for blown call - Aug 06, 2012
- Russia avoids US, draws Spain in Olympic basketball - Jul 09, 2012
- Football friendlies: Argentina beat Germany, Brazil thrash Sweden - Aug 16, 2012
- Olympics: Medals tally (Updated) - Aug 05, 2012
- Brazil, Spain, Britain seeded in Olympic football - Apr 24, 2012
- Australia beat China to qualify for Olympic volleyball - Jun 10, 2012
- Olympics: Medal tally - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Medals' tally (Updated) - Aug 02, 2012
- England's dream Euro 2012 draw makes them 1-10 bookie favourites - Feb 08, 2010
- Olympics: Medals' tally (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Chess: Russia outwit India to take lead - Aug 18, 2012
- European swimming: Seven golds decided on penultimate day - May 27, 2012
Tags: 2012 london olympics, committee director, competition group, executive body, fina, final group, greece italy, lausanne, london 2012, new water, olympic champions, olympic games, olympic park, organising committee, polo arena, qualification tournament, ranked teams, series test, test events, water polo