Olympics: Bolt admits to pressure ahead of 100m conquestAugust 7th, 2012 - 3:11 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 7 (IANS/CMC) Sprint legend Usain Bolt has admitted to being under pressure to defend his men’s Olympics 100 metres title in London.
Shortly after storming to victory in a new Olympic record 9.63 seconds at the London Games Sunday, Bolt said he had been worried and had discussed his strategy going forward with coach Glen Mills, CMC reports.
“I was really under a lot of pressure,” Bolt said during the mixed zone interview.
“He (Mills) said ‘don’t worry I knew where you went wrong and we know what we have to do so as long as you fix the back problem you will be ok’.”
Bolt said he had worked really hard to correct the back problems he had experienced and which had hampered him during the Jamaica Olympic Trials in June.
Then, he was twice beaten by training partner Yohan Blake, raising doubts about his ability to defend his Olympic sprint titles.
Bolt also said even on arrival at the Olympic Stadium for the start of the 100m race he was still a bit concerned but said after the penultimate round his confidence improved.
“I was slightly worried because I wasn’t racing but after I ran the semi-finals I felt smooth, I felt great, so it was no worry after that. I was confident I that I would have done it,” he said.
Bolt also spoke highly of his training partner Blake who finished second in a personal best 9.75.
“He is great. He executed well,” said Bolt, while adding that the young sprinter would continue to improve as he continued competing with more big names.
With his victory, Bolt joined American Carl Lewis as the other contemporary sprinter to win back-to-back titles.
- Olympics: Bolt breezes into 200m final - Aug 09, 2012
- Coach key to my success, says Bolt - Sep 13, 2012
- Sluggish Bolt wins as sharp Blake also triumphs - Sep 08, 2012
- Carl Lewis doubts Bolt's Olympics 100m title defence - Jul 15, 2012
- Olympics: Blake downplays experience factor in 100m contest - Aug 02, 2012
- Blake stuns Bolt for second time to win 200m - Jul 02, 2012
- Fit-again Bolt admits to past back injury - Jul 27, 2012
- I will be hard to beat next season: Blake - Sep 21, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Bolt warns Blake off 200m gold - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympics: Jamaicans rejoice as Bolt wins 100m final - Aug 06, 2012
- Forget winning 200m title, Bolt tells Blake - Aug 08, 2012
- Bolt, Blake break meet records in Lausanne - Aug 24, 2012
- Olympics: Jamaica celebrates historic 200m one-two-three - Aug 10, 2012
- Bolt unfazed despite two shockers from Blake - Jul 05, 2012
- Olympics: Bolt, Blake headline weekend track action - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: bs, carl lewis, cmc, coach, confidence, conquest, doubts, jamaica, london games, olympic record, olympic sprint, olympic stadium, olympic trials, olympics, semi finals, sprinter, training partner, usain bolt, victory, worry