Olympics archery: South Korea’s Oh shoots goldAugust 4th, 2012 - 12:02 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 3 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Oh Jin Hyek won an Olympics gold for South Korea in the men’s individual archery Friday, with a dominant victory over his Japanese opponent Takaharu Furukawa in the final.
Oh’s victory gives South Korea its first gold in the men’s individual event, where South Korean archers have endured a puzzling lack of success despite winning four golds in the team competition.
Oh out-shot Furukawa 7-1, never shooting a score lower than eight and scoring 10 on seven occasions.
China’s Dai Xiaoxiang had earlier edged out Rick van der Ven of the Netherlands in a tense shoot-off for the bronze medal.
Van der Ven started strongly, winning the first two sets, but allowed Dai back into the match in the third and fourth sets before the fifth set was tied, sending the match to a shoot-off.
Dai’s arrow landed almost exactly in the centre of the target, giving him the bronze when van der Ven could not beat the shot.
The Dutch archer had earlier produced the shock of the tournament, thrashing world record holder Im Dong-Hyun of South Korea 7-1 in the last 16.
- 'Blind' archer helps set Olympics' first world record (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympic judo: France's Riner wins gold - Aug 04, 2012
- 'Blind' archer smashes London Olympics' first world record - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympics judo: Cuba's Ortiz wins gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: South Africa's Van Der Burgh sets world record in 100m breaststroke - Jul 30, 2012
- Gyurta wins 200m breaststroke gold, sets world record - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympics: Italy wins women's team foil gold - Aug 03, 2012
- Rhode blasts her way to skeet gold, equals world record - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Del Potro takes bronze in men's singles - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympic gymnastics: Romania's Izbasa vaults to gold - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympic gymnastics: China's Zou Kai retains gold - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympic table tennis: Gold for Chinese men's team - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic gymnastics: Gold for Dong Dong in trampoline - Aug 04, 2012
- Italy beat US to take first Olympic archery gold - Jul 29, 2012
- South Korea's Kim takes shooting gold in 25m pistol - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: archer, archers, archery, arrow, bronze medal, dominant victory, furukawa, match, occasions, olympics, opponent, ria novosti, shock, south korea, south korean, target, team competition, van der ven, vm, world record holder