Olympics Archery: Indian women pipped by Denmark (Lead)July 29th, 2012 - 7:41 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 29 (IANS) India’s challenge in the London Olympics archery team event ended Sunday when the women lost to Denmark by a slender one-point margin in the elimination round at the iconic Lord’s cricket ground.
The World No. 2 trio of Deepika Kumari, Chekrovolu Swuro and Laishram Bombayala Devi faltered in crunch moments to go down 210-211 to Denmark’s Carina Christiansen, Maja Jager and Louise Laursen.
The loss capped India’s dismal show in the team events after the men lost to Japan in another eliminator Saturday.
The two teams started slowly with one 10 and one 7 each out of their first six arrows as India took a slender one-point lead 52-51 by the first end.
In the second end, the Danish troika were high on accuracy and shot five arrows in the gold (three 10s and two 9s), with Jager having an 8 on the sixth arrow.
The precision shots and a pathetic 6 by Chekrovolu Swuro enabled the Scandinavians to upturn the script and open up a 4-point lead (107-103).
India found themselves in further trouble in the third end with Swuro shooting a six for the second time in the match as the Danes cashed in on their rival’s inconsistency to stretch their lead by five points (160-155).
India fought back in the final end by scoring two tens through Bombayala and Swuro. The Asian side started the final end hitting 9-10-10, and recovered four points to be a solitary point adrift (184-185) after the Danes struck 8-9-8 . The Indians finished with 9-8-9, and as Christiansen and Laursen also scored 9 and 8, Jager needed a 9 to win. And that was exactly what she shot to carry her team to the quarterfinals.
India will now hope for a medal from the individual event Monday with the bulk of the expectations on Deepika, ranked world number one.
- Olympic Archery: Indian women upstaged by Denmark - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Vijender, Jai Bhagwan keep India's hopes alive (Evening Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Jai Bhagwan, Vijender add shine to India's campaign (Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Jai Bhagwan, Vijender add lustre to India's campaign (Intro Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Jai Bhagwan stay on course as archers, shooters bow out (Overall Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympic archery: Indian men bow out after tense finish (Roundup) - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympic archery: Indian men crash out (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympic archery: Bombayala bows out of individual event - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympic archery: Deepika's loss completes dismal India show (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: India men bow out, Deepika now lone hope (Archery Intro Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympic archery: Indian men's team knocked out - Jul 28, 2012
- World Archery: Indian women lose in final, settle for silver - Jul 10, 2011
- Deepika Kumari still wondering what hit her in London - Aug 09, 2012
- Indian women's archery team qualifies for Olympics (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- India win gold in Asian Grand Prix archery - Feb 18, 2012
Tags: 10s, archery team, asian side, christiansen, five arrows, five points, four points, inconsistency, indian women, jager, kumari, laursen, london olympics, point margin, quarterfinals, ranked world number, scandinavians, solitary point, troika, upturn