Olympic: Zakharov breaks Chinese dominance for diving goldAugust 8th, 2012 - 4:06 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 8 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Ilya Zakharov of Russia took diving gold in the men’s three-metre springboard Tuesday, breaking 20 years of Chinese dominance in the event.
The 21-year-old had the most difficult programme and snatched the gold medal from China’s Qin Kai with his sixth dive, a forward four-and-a-half somersault, for 104.50 points to total 555.90.
Qin Kai notched up 541.75 points, leaving his compatriot and Beijing gold medalist He Chong with the bronze medal.
Britain’s 19-year-old Chris Mears performed the second-best dive for 100.7 points but couldn’t manage higher than ninth.
Zakharov added this gold medal to the silver that he won in three-metre synchronised springboard competition with Evgeny Kuznetsov.
He is the first non-Chinese diver to win the event since Mark Lenzi of the US won it at Barcelona 1992.
China wrapped up all four gold medals in synchronised diving.
- Chinese juggernaut rolls on at Olympics (World Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic gymnastics: China's Zou Kai retains gold - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympic swimming: Russia takes synchronised team gold - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic diving : Chen retains 10m diving title in style - Aug 10, 2012
- Paralympic gold for Russia in women's long jump - Aug 31, 2012
- Paralympic discus gold for Russia - Sep 01, 2012
- Olympic cycling: Germany take women's sprint gold after China demoted - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics : Meares pips Pendleton to cycling gold - Aug 08, 2012
- South Korea's Kim takes shooting gold in 25m pistol - Aug 02, 2012
- Russian girls sweep synchro swimming at junior World Championships - Sep 18, 2012
- Top divers to compete in World Cup and Olympic test - Feb 18, 2012
- Olympics: Chicherova soars to high jump gold for Russia - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic long jump : America's Reese wins women's gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Russia's Antyukh storms to 400m hurdles gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Merritt hurdles to 110m gold for US - Aug 09, 2012
Tags: barcelona 1992, beijing, best dive, bronze medal, chinese dominance, chris mears, compatriot, gold medal, gold medalist, gold medals, ilya, kai, kuznetsov, mark lenzi, metre springboard, olympic, qin, ria novosti, somersault, zakharov