Olympic wrestling: Yogeshwar Dutt leads Indian challenge (Overall India Roundup)August 11th, 2012 - 12:04 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 11 (IANS) Yogeshwar Dutt will lead India’s challenge in the Olympic wrestling competition Saturday after Amit Kumar and Narsingh Pancham Yadav crashed out of the competition here.
Dutt will take on Bulgaria’s Anatolie Ilarionovitch Guidea in the opening round of the men’s 60 kg freestyle wrestling event.
India’s best bet in the sport, Sushil Kumar, will fight it out in the 66 kg category on the concluding day of the London Olympics Sunday.
The Indian wrestlers started their Olympic campaign on a disappointing note with Amit and Pancham Yadav failing to win any medals.
Narsingh Yadav also bowed out of the Olympics, losing his opening fight in the men’s 74 kg event.
Eighteen-year-old Amit, the youngest-ever Indian wrestler in the Olympics, raised hopes of a bronze medal after he moved into Repechage 2. But there he lost 0-3 to Bulgarian Radoslav Marinov Velikov, a Beijing Games bronze medallist, failing to qualify for the 55 kg category’s bronze medal match.
Amit, who had received a first round bye, had won 3-1 over Iran’s Hassan Sabzali Rahimi in the pre-quarterfinal.
The Indian, however, failed to repeat his performance and lost his quarterfinal bout 1-3 to Georgian Vladimer Khinchegashvili.
However, it was Khinchegashvili, who gave Amit a lifeline by qualifying for the final round.
But the Indian found it tough against the Bulgarian, a former world champion, in Repechage 2.
Narsingh was not so lucky as he suffered a first round loss to Canadian Matthew Judah Gentry 1-3.
Gentry then lost his quarterfinal bout 1-3 to American Jordan Ernest Burroughs, ending Narsingh Yadav’s hopes of making the repechage round.
- Olympic wrestling: Indian wrestlers Amit Kumar, Narsingh Yadav out (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Amit's bronze medal hopes alive, Yadav out (India Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Russia's Otarsultanov lands controversial gold - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar in repechage (Second Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Yogeshwar wins bronze, fifth Olympic medal fo India (Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar in second repechage (Third Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar a win away from bronze (Fourth Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar loses in pre-quarters (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics wrestling: India's Yogeshwar inches closer to bronze medal (Fifth Lead, correcting Intro) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Geeta in repechage (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Asian Games wrestling: Ram, Pradeep miss bronze - Nov 24, 2010
- Indian wrestlers Yogeshwar, Amit book London berth, Sushil fails (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Olympics: Geeta Phogat out of wrestling (Second Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympics: Wrestler Geeta, high jumper Sahana out (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympics: Wrestler Yogeshwar gets India bronze after hockey embarrassment (India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
Tags: amit kumar, best bet, bronze medal, burroughs, hassan, indian challenge, judah, lifeline, london olympics, olympic campaign, olympic wrestling, pancham, quarterfinal, rahimi, repechage, sabzali, sushil kumar, world champion, wrestlers, yadav