Olympic wrestling: Japanese women grapplers sweep two golds (Lead)August 9th, 2012 - 6:47 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 9 (IANS) Japan heaped two golds in a day at 48kg and 63kg women’s freestyle category here Wednesday of London Olympics wrestling competition.
The 63kg legend Kaori Icho beat Chinese Jing Ruixue in the final to win her third straight Olympic title. Mongolia’s Soronzonbold Battsetseg and Russia’s Lubov Volosova shared the bronze medal, Xinhua reported.
The two-time Olympic champion Icho met no challenge from Jing, who never won over Icho before and cruised past the game 3-0, 2-0, her latest victory of a 72-match winning streak. She now owns the only three Olympic golds ever awarded at 63kg.
“In the final, I was able to tackle both legs of my opponent. I am happy I could do that because I have practiced this technique,” said Icho.
“There were things I could not do in the final, but I’m happy to achieve my goal,” she added.
Earlier, another powerhouse Hitomi Obara of Japan won her first Olympic gold medal in women’s 48-kg freestyle by rallying to beat Mariya Stadnyk of Azerbaijan 0-4, 1-0, 2-0.
China’s Zhao Shasha lost in the preliminaries to US wrestler Clarissa Kyoko Mei Ling Chun, who gave the US its first wrestling medal at the London Games. Another bronze went to Carol Huynh of Canada.
- Olympic freestyle wrestling: Japan's Icho wins 3rd gold - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Gold for Japanese grappler Obara - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Russian Vorobieva pins down gold - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Sushil assures 6th medal for India (Fourth Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Varner wins gold for US - Aug 12, 2012
- CWG wrestling: Indian women power their way to gold (Roundup) - Oct 07, 2010
- Would have loved to hear national anthem: Sushil - Aug 12, 2012
- India's medal winners at London Olympics - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Gold for Uzbekistan in men's 120 kg - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Rezaei wins gold for Iran - Aug 08, 2012
- Sushil Kumar's Olympic saga (Factfile) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Sushil sizzles into semis (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Russia's Otarsultanov lands controversial gold - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Sushil Kumar assures sixth medal for India (Third Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Azerbaijan's Asgarov wins gold - Aug 12, 2012
Tags: bronze medal, freestyle, huynh, icho, japanese women, kyoko, london games, london olympics, lubov, match, obara, olympic champion, olympic gold medal, olympic golds, olympic title, opponent, powerhouse, preliminaries, winning streak, xinhua