Olympic wrestling: India’s Yogeshwar in repechage (Second Lead)August 11th, 2012 - 10:37 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 11 (IANS) Yogeshwar Dutt’s Olympic medal hopes were rekindled as he qualified for the repechage round of the men’s 60kg wrestling event after Russian Besik Kudukhov, who had defeated the Indian in the pre-quarterfinal, made it to the title round of the 2012 London Games here Saturday.
But it will still be a long road ahead for the Indian before he gets into the bronze medal match.
The 30-year-old Indian will be facing Franklin Gomez Matos of Puerto Rico in the first repechage round. If Yogeshwar wins, he will face Iranian Masoud Esmaeilpoorjouybari in the second repechage round for a place in the bronze medal match against North Korean Jong Myong Ri.
Yogeshwar must thank World Champion Kudukhov for keeping alive his bronze medal hope.
The Russian, bronze medallist at the 2008 Beijing Games, won his quarter-final match 3-1 against Esmaeilpoorjouybari and semi-final 3-0 against Myong Ri to qualify for the final. Kudukhov will face Azerbaijan’s Toghrul Asgarov in the title clash.
Yogeshwar had lost his pre-quarterfinal bout to Kudukhov. The Indian survived just two periods before losing 3-0 to the reigning World Champion, who was also a bronze medallist at the 2008 Beijing Games.
Yogeshwar lost the first period 1-0 and the second 2-0. The Indian’s medal hopes now depend on the Russian.
Yogeshwar qualified for the pre-quarterfinal, beating Bulgarian Anatolie Ilarionovitch Guidea in the first round.
The Indian made a brilliant comeback after losing the first period to win the bout 3-1.
Guidea won the first period 1-0 but Yogeshwar did well in the second period, bagging it 2-0. Yogeshwar completely dominated the third and the final period to win it 5-2.
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar a win away from bronze (Fourth Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar in second repechage (Third Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics wrestling: India's Yogeshwar inches closer to bronze medal (Fifth Lead, correcting Intro) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Yogeshwar wins bronze, fifth Olympic medal fo India (Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar loses in pre-quarters (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics: All eyes on Sushil after Yogeshwar's bronze (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Wrestler Yogeshwar gets India bronze after hockey embarrassment (India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Azerbaijan's Asgarov wins gold - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar in pre-quarters - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Yogeshwar Dutt leads Indian challenge (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Indian wrestlers Amit Kumar, Narsingh Yadav out (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Amit's bronze medal hopes alive, Yadav out (India Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympics: Geeta Phogat out of wrestling (Second Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Geeta in repechage (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympics: Wrestler Geeta, high jumper Sahana out (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
Tags: 2008 beijing, azerbaijan, brilliant comeback, bronze medal, bronze medallist, final 3, final match, final period, first period, gomez, london games, matos, north korean, olympic medal, period 1, quarterfinal, second period, title clash, world champion, yogeshwar