Olympic wrestling: Gold for Uzbekistan in men’s 120 kgAugust 12th, 2012 - 2:18 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 12 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Uzbekistan’s Artur Taymazov won his third successive Olympic gold in the men’s 120 kg freestyle wrestling Saturday, beating Georgia’s Davit Modzamanashvili in a close final.
The bout was scored 3-0 in Taymazov’s favour after he scraped 1-0 wins in each of the first two periods with minimum-ranking throws.
Taymazov underlined his status as Uzbekistan’s most successful Olympic competitor, unbeaten since the final of Sydney 2000, where he won silver.
Modzamashvili won the most important medal of his career, his main previous achievement being bronze at last year’s world championships.
Bronze medals went to Iran’s Komeil Ghasemi and Russia’s Bilyal Makhov after two thrilling three-period contests.
On Friday, US wrestler Jordan Burroughs had taken the 74 kg gold against Iran’s Saeed Gourdarzi, but the second US-Iran medal matchup went the other way, with Ghasemi beating Tervel Dlagnev 3-1 on points.
Ghasemi took the first round 4-0, but was beaten 1-0 in the second before scraping the third 1-0 in a gruelling match.
In the second bronze medal bout, Makhnov won a tough fight with Kazakhstan’s Daulet Shabanbay, winning the first round 5-0 before losing the second 3-0 and coming back to win the third 3-0 for the win.
- World Wrestling: Russia, Japan win team titles - Sep 19, 2011
- Olympic wrestling: Varner wins gold for US - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Burroughs wrestles to gold in US-Iran match - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Yogeshwar wins bronze, fifth Olympic medal fo India (Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar in repechage (Second Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Asian Games: Four golds take India's tally to 14 (Roundup) - Nov 26, 2010
- Olympic wrestling: Gold for Japanese grappler Obara - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar a win away from bronze (Fourth Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Asian Games boxing: Five Indians stay in gold hunt; bronze for four - Nov 24, 2010
- Galstyan wins first gold for Russia in judo - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar loses in pre-quarters (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics wrestling: India's Yogeshwar inches closer to bronze medal (Fifth Lead, correcting Intro) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar in second repechage (Third Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Sushil assures 6th medal for India (Fourth Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Rezaei wins gold for Iran - Aug 08, 2012
Tags: 120 kg, artur taymazov, bronze medal, bronze medals, burroughs, competitor, davit, favour, iran, kazakhstan, komeil, match, matchup, olympic gold, periods, ria novosti, saeed, sydney 2000, uzbekistan, world championships