Olympic wrestling: Amit’s bronze medal hopes alive, Yadav out (India Roundup)August 10th, 2012 - 10:04 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 10 (IANS) Indian wrestler Amit Kumar Olympic medal hopes are still alive as he qualified for the Repechage 2 of the 55kg category while his compatriot Narsingh Pancham Yadav crashed out after losing his first round bout in the men’s 74kg event here Friday.
It was Georgian Vladimer Khinchegashvili, who threw a lifeline to Kumar, by qualifying for the final round at the ExCel North Arena 2. Kumar, the youngest Indian wrestler to qualify for Olympics, still has a chance to win a bronze medal.
Kumar, 18, raised hopes with a 3-1 win over Iran’s Hassan Sabzali Rahimi 3-1 in the pre-quarterfinal. The Indian, however, failed to repeat his performance and lost his quarterfinal bout 1-3 to Khinchegashvili. Kumar had received a first round bye.
But the Georgian went on to win the semifinal against Shinichi Yumoto and make the final, that made Kumar eligible for the Repechage 2.
In the Repechage 2, Kumar will face the winner of the bout between Egyptian Ibrahim Farag Abdelhakim Mohamed and Radoslav Marinov Velikov of Bulgaria. If Kumar wins his repechage round, he would take on Yumoto in the bronze medal match.
But Yadav was not so lucky as he suffered a first round loss to Canadian Matthew Judah Gentry. Narsingh went down 1-3 to Gentry.
Gentry lost his quarterfinal bout 1-3 to American Jordan Ernest Burroughs that ended Narsingh’s hopes of making it to the repechage round.
- Olympic wrestling: Indian wrestlers Amit Kumar, Narsingh Yadav out (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Yogeshwar Dutt leads Indian challenge (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Russia's Otarsultanov lands controversial gold - Aug 11, 2012
- Indian wrestlers Yogeshwar, Amit book London berth, Sushil fails (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Geeta in repechage (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: Yogeshwar wins bronze, fifth Olympic medal fo India (Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Asian Games wrestling: Ram, Pradeep miss bronze - Nov 24, 2010
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar loses in pre-quarters (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics: Geeta Phogat out of wrestling (Second Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar in repechage (Second Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics: All eyes on Sushil after Yogeshwar's bronze (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics: Wrestler Geeta, high jumper Sahana out (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar in second repechage (Third Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic wrestling: India's Yogeshwar a win away from bronze (Fourth Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympics wrestling: India's Yogeshwar inches closer to bronze medal (Fifth Lead, correcting Intro) - Aug 12, 2012
Tags: amit kumar, arena 2, bronze medal, burroughs, compatriot, farag, hassan, judah, lifeline, match, mohamed, olympic medal, olympics, quarterfinal, rahimi, repechage, roundup, sabzali, yadav, yumoto