Olympic weightlifting: Ravi Kumar finishes sixth in 69kgJuly 31st, 2012 - 7:54 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 31 (IANS) India’s participation in the Olympic weightlifting event ended Tuesday when Katulu Ravi Kumar finished sixth in Group B of the 69kg category.
Ravi Kumar lifted 303kg with 136kg in snatch and 167kg through clean and jerk.
North Korea’s Kim Myong Hyok was on top with a total of 329kg, ahead of Antonio Sanchez Rivero (328) of Venezuela and Azerbaijani Sardar Hasanov (321).
Fourteen athletes have qualified for the medal round to take place later in the day.
Ravi Kumar, who won the gold in 2010 Commonwealth Games, said he could not perform to his potential due to a bout of fever.
“I was unwell in the run-up to the competition. That did not allow me to perform to my potential. Having said that, there are no excuses for the way I fared,” said Ravi Kumar.
“My country will not be happy with my performance but it was a memorable experience to compete in the Olympics.”
Soniya Chanu, the other member of the small weightlifting contingent, had earlier come seventh in the women’s 48kg event.
- Olympics: Kashyap upsets seeded player, Devendro wins in style (Evening Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- We are not here to make up the numbers: Weightlifting coach - Jul 19, 2012
- Two CWG gold medallists in weightlifting squad for Asian Games - Oct 21, 2010
- 76 Indians qualify for Olympics, more likely - Jun 12, 2012
- India at London Olympics (Schedule) - Jul 27, 2012
- Asian Games weightlifting: Medal hope Ravi Kumar finishes fifth - Nov 15, 2010
- List of Indian athletes at London - Jul 26, 2012
- Silver medalist Chanu sad after missing the Gold in CWG - Oct 05, 2010
- Lifters Soniya, Sandhya win India's first medals in CWG 2010 - Oct 04, 2010
- CWG Weightlifting: Chanu, Kumar win gold, set Games record (Roundup) - Oct 06, 2010
- CWG weightlifting: Silver for Sukhen, Srinivasa gets bronze - Oct 04, 2010
- Olympics: Boxers shine as tennis duo knocked out (Overall Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: Kashyap, Devendro shine on a dismal day (India Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- CWG weightlifting: Dey and Rao add a silver and bronze to the kitty (RoundUp) - Oct 04, 2010
- Sports minister gives away cash awards to 158 athletes - May 10, 2012
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, antonio sanchez, azerbaijani, contingent, fever, gold, India, london, memorable experience, north korea, olympic weightlifting, olympics, participation, ravi kumar, sardar, venezuela