Olympic weightlifting: Polish underdog bags goldAugust 4th, 2012 - 1:20 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 4 (IANS) Poland’s Adrian Edward Zielinski has won the gold medal in weightlifting men’s 85kg category with a total of 385kg.
Zielinski, 23, standing in the third place with the snatch of 174kg, showed off his strength in clean-and-jerk with the final attempt of 211kg to take the gold away from 19-year-old Russian Apti Aukhadov, by virtue of his lighter bodyweight, as both athletes totalled 385kg.
“I was sure I was going to get a medal. But in the last lift I felt a second strength so I just decided to go for it,” said Zielinski on his last lift.
Zielinski won the world title in 2010 with 383kg and this year’s Polish championships with an outstanding total of 395kg. However, he did this in the 94kg category, weighing about 5kg above his usual limit.
The night was not for event favourites. Iranian lifter Kianoush Rostami, 2011 world champion, who lifted 399kg total in the national team trials, managed only the first attempt of snatch and clean-and jerk, took the bronze medal with 380kg in total.
Chinese lifter Lu Yong, defending Olympic champion, led in snatch with 178kg but was unable to stay in top gear and eliminated for three no-lifts in clean-and-jerk.
Other pre-competition favourites who failed to register a total included Andrei Rybakou of Belarus, Olympic silver medallist in 2004 and 2008, and Asian champion Sourab Moradi of Iran, neither of whom managed to complete a successful snatch attempt.
Earlier in the Excel arena, Kazakhstan weightlifter Svetlana Podobedova won the gold medal in women’s 75kg category with a total of 291kg. Russian lifter Natalya Zabolotnaya won the silver and Belarus lifter Iryna Kulesha bagged the bronze.
- Olympics: Zielinski lifts Poland's first gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: North Korean weight-lifter breaks world record - Jul 31, 2012
- Iran Asian weightlifting champions - May 01, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: Podobedova lifts Kazakhstan to gold - Aug 04, 2012
- China's Li lifts Olympic gold in 58 kg, breaks record - Jul 31, 2012
- Silver medalist Chanu sad after missing the Gold in CWG - Oct 05, 2010
- Indian men lifters fail in 62kg category, women in 53kg - Oct 06, 2010
- Indian lifters fail in 62-kg category - Oct 05, 2010
- CWG weightlifting: Silver for Sukhen, Srinivasa gets bronze - Oct 04, 2010
- Olympic weightlifting: China's Lin Qinfeng lifts 69-kg gold - Aug 01, 2012
- Lifters Soniya, Sandhya win India's first medals in CWG 2010 - Oct 04, 2010
- Olympic weightlifting: Ukraine's Torokhtiy wins 105kg event - Aug 07, 2012
- CWG weightlifting: Dey and Rao add a silver and bronze to the kitty (RoundUp) - Oct 04, 2010
- Asian Games weightlifting: Medal hope Ravi Kumar finishes fifth - Nov 15, 2010
- South Korea aims 10 gold medals at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
Tags: 5kg, andrei, asian champion, belarus olympic, bodyweight, bronze medal, final attempt, gold medal, lifter, moradi, olympic champion, olympic silver medallist, olympic weightlifting, svetlana, top gear, underdog, virtue, weightlifter, world champion, zielinski